Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 94 Automatic integra. I have a little problem. After I start my car and press down on the brake, I am unable to shift the car out of the park position. The button will not press down to shift. Just to let you know I have an aftermarket shifter stick thing. If I take the keys out and stick it in the shift lock release, I can then press down the shift button and shift the car into neutral, take the key out and then start the car. After that I can shift into whatever gear I need to, to go. If I place the car back into park, the button will not be pressable until I put a key back into the shift lock release. Anyone that can help, I would appreciate it. Thanks!!

·
Registered
779 Posts
that happens to me but i have a stock a/t shifter (94 ls). it only does that when the car's been sitting over night. if i hold the brake long enough, the button will unlock and i'll be able to press it but in gear. doesnt do it all the time though.

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
You need to take it to the dealer, that's a shift lock problem. That's what the manual says, I don't know if you can fix it yourself.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is it normal to be able to take the key out while the car is in neutral? I put the car in neutral and am able to take out the key and just pull up the e-brake. This makes it easier for me since I can't shift out of park w/o the shift lock release. Hmm so to the dealership?

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
No you shouldn't be able to take the key out when its in Neutral it should be in Park before you can remove the key. I suggest you take it to the dealer, but that is what the shift lock relase slot is for. I had this problem when I had my oem shift knob, I bought a levoc a/t knob from japan and the problem dissapeared not sure if its related to the stock shifter or not.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
sometimes when my car does this i will either jiggle the shifter around some while hitting the button...if that doesnt work i will press the brake in as hard as i can. Good Luck!

·
Registered
695 Posts
JUST FORCE IT!!!!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Dont worry about it. My friend has the same problem on his automatic, I fixed it for him. The problem is that there is a little piece of plastic in between the shifter knob and the stick thingie. Basically, unscrew or remove the knob part of the shifter with the small allen wrench thing, you will see that there is this little grey circle thing that is supposed to be stuck to the stick part of the shifter but it may have come lose and basically is blocking the position of the shift button from being depressed thus you cannot shift out of park, it comes lose sometimes on its own but more frequently if you changed to an aftermarket knob as you mentioned. Just pop it back in place and away you go. Also, make sure your brake is depressed when you try to shift out after fixing the problem =]. If that doesnt work then take your key and the shift ovverride lock thing is located in a slot looking thing right above the shifter. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
c2_nap on Mar/01/04 said:
get a standard...never bother with an auto lol ;)
im really getting tired of people of saying that there is nothing wrong with owning an auto. And frankly coments such as yours add nothing of any use to the disscussion

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
TeamLosi on Mar/09/04 said:
Quote: c2_nap on Mar/01/04get a standard...never bother with an auto lol ;)
im really getting tired of people of saying that there is nothing wrong with owning an auto. And frankly coments such as yours add nothing of any use to the disscussion
I agree, I'm not an auto lover myself, but I do own one, I'm tired of the criticism from people driving manuals, like us auto owners are inferior or something, it's starting to irritate me. Keep your comments to yourself unless you have something constructive to contribute.

For a pic of the shift knob I have go here

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
The next auto comment will result in a week time out like a little child. Contribute to help not to bash.

As for the problem, take it to the dealer because there has been a recall on this item and should be replaced free of charge. I would put the OEM shift handle on though.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.