Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I was doing an istall on indiglo gauges and i popped my tach needle off. So as the story goes i just put it back into my car for now with plans of getting it calibrated. It seems to slowly have brought itself back to the right position though. Its showing my idle to be between 500 and 750 rpms like normal. So my question is can your tach actually correct itself?

·
Registered
948 Posts
the speedo isn't accurate enough for that. Hook up an external tach tester and verify its correct.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Calculations? What calculations can I do? Also where can i get an external tach tester? Expensive?

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Just get a new tach, problem solved. Would be too complicated to do all this crap, to something that you very well unlikely wont fix anyway.

·
Registered
948 Posts
It would be cheaper to have the dealership recalibrate it for you then buy a whole new instrument cluster.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Junkyeard my friend... u'll be surprised at what u can find there...lol

frank

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went to the dealership to see what they could do and they said they didn't know how to calibrate it. Proctor Acura in Tallahassee that is. So then I proceeded to go to every junkyard in town and nothing. Now ebay is my only hope. Or if someone has a cluster they are selling let me know.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As an update the dealership wants 35 dollars to hook it up to the machine and they said i could put the needle where it needs to be because they dont want to touch it. Are they kidding?

·
Registered
948 Posts
italiano831 on Apr/13/04 said:
As an update the dealership wants 35 dollars to hook it up to the machine and they said i could put the needle where it needs to be because they dont want to touch it. Are they kidding?
Do you know anyone with an OBD2 scantool? It reads engine RPMs.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if you change your gauge cluster your odometer goes with it. I don't know about state laws but in ontario tampering of any kind with the odometer is illegal if you sell the vehicle.

What this means is if you swap the cluster, it won't read the true mileage of the car anymore. If you then tried to sell, you wouldn't be able to do so with a clean title because the mileage is unverified.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good looking out blackaddr, but you can actually remove just the tach from your original gauge cluster, and replace only that. The only problem is it is not sold seperatly you have to buy everything else too.

·
Registered
420 Posts
go to any good shop they should have a snap-on timing light that does rpms as well, these are very acurate, use this to reposition ur needle in the right place, trust me this works very well

1 - 14 of 14 Posts