Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey...hopefully this question isn't as dumb as I'm
starting to think it is.

The carpet of my '92 teg is pretty beat. Not really
worn, just the color isn't great. Is it possible
to pull the entire carpet, and just spraypaint it
with a couple coats of black? (red teg / black int)
I figure that you don't really use the carpet too much,
just the mats...so is this a decent idea? (instead
of spending the couple hundred bucks on a new one?)

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Yup, fabric dye. I am going to use it on my armrest (which has turned from black to grey) when I get around to it.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
spray paint bad.. and it'll make u high.. which is bad or good depending on the person.. i think u wanna go with dye.. or a huge permanent marker. =) i'm sure this'll get messy.. be sure to borrow your friend's clothes when attempting this chore.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
There is a paint for carpets that I've seen. Its for areas that are super bad stained. Like some kid spills his Hawaiian Fruit Punch in the back seat and it stains all over the carpet. I haven't ever seen it sold outside of the professional markets. You pretty much had to buy it in bulk and have it color matched like touchup paint. I know a couple detailers that make some good money with their carpet restoration services. Depending on the color of the carpet, there are cheaper ways of doing it though. Markers are good. Spray Paint makes the fibers stiff. Dye is your next best bet. Floor mats are even better. ;) Kinda like using electric tape to get that annoying "check engine" light to stop bugging you. lol

·
Registered
276 Posts
dyed my WHOLLLLEEEEEEEE floor carpeting from tan to black with Rit dye from Target. Works awesome and it was $1.49 per pack! i used like..four..not bad, not bad at all.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have been thinking about doing this myself and I'm glad you guys are saying that dye works. Can someone explain the procedure?? Where did you put the carpet to dye it?? How hard is it to put the carpeting back in after your done?? This could be a useful article I'm sure many people would appreciate, maybe someone will write one...

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
InTeGrAgUrL on Aug/23/02 said:
dyed my WHOLLLLEEEEEEEE floor carpeting from tan to black with Rit dye from Target. Works awesome and it was $1.49 per pack! i used like..four..not bad, not bad at all.
Cool, carpet dye, never thought of that. Yea, I guess
spraypainting it would make the carpet stiff-like.

Yea, more info!

How hard was it to do?
Was it tough getting the carpet out and then back in?
To dye it, do you have to dip the carpet into it,
or do you spread it around the carpet like painting?

·
Registered
276 Posts
K, take a ..i dunno three gallon? ehh i dont know, i used this little pink bucket that we use to hand wash the car with w/o using a hose. Anyhow, buy a one-coat paint brush from target and four or five boxes of black dye made by Rit..they sell it somewhere in the household cleaning department (laundry aisle or close to). Use hot water and fill 3/4 of the bucket up, add a tiny bit of clothes washer detergent. MIX. Take brush and dip into dye mix, apply to carpet. Repeat last step till satisfied. mine turned out great. Looks brand new, and no one could tell it was tan. HAHAHA...next trick..tan seatbelts to black...using permanent marker! I will tell you how it turns out =) GOOD SO FAR! three belts left... woah, fumes.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok InTeGrAgUrL, here's some specifics:

1. Did you remove your entire carpet to do this, or did
you just do some touch-ups? If you did remove it, was
it tough to uninstall/reinstall your carpet correctly?

2. When you mixed the RIT with the laundry detergent,
do the directions say to use laudry detergent, or is this
something you discovered?

3. Again, when you mixed it, did you use all of your
boxes of RIT, or just one at a time?

4. You said you used a one-coat paint brush...what's
that? :) Is that different from a normal paint brush?
Is it the kind that looks like it has a foam-end instead
of bristles?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Quote: cpgoose on Aug/27/02 Ok InTeGrAgUrL, here's some specifics:

1. Did you remove your entire carpet to do this, or did
you just do some touch-ups? If you did remove it, was
it tough to uninstall/reinstall your carpet correctly?

ANSWER: I DID NOT REMOVE ANY OF THE CARPET, BUT DID TAKE THE SEAT OUT oN MY PASSENGER SIDE. ORIGINALLY WAS TAN, BUT NOW IS COMPLETELY BLACK.

2. When you mixed the RIT with the laundry detergent,
do the directions say to use laudry detergent, or is this
something you discovered?

ANSWER: DIRECTIoNS SUGGESTED ADDING LAUNDRY DETERGENT AND SALT, BUT I DIDN'T HAVE THAT QUANITY OF SALT oN HAND.

3. Again, when you mixed it, did you use all of your
boxes of RIT, or just one at a time?

ANSWER: ALL BOXES AT oNE TIME. MADE SURE IT WASN'T GOING TO BE A CLEAR(ISH) MIX.

4. You said you used a one-coat paint brush...what's
that? :) Is that different from a normal paint brush?
Is it the kind that looks like it has a foam-end instead
of bristles?

ANSWER: IT SAYS oN IT 'oNE-COAT'. WAS GUARENTEED oN THE LABEL, CAME oN IT BY MISTAKE, BUT WORKED VERY WELL.

HTH

If I wasn't clear enough, please post again.

·
Registered
301 Posts
is there any other color other than black? something like the red that come on the jdm itr seats? although black is nice for carpet and would match my interior very nicely. and integragurl, how is the black holding up? im talking about the quality of the dye.

·
Registered
267 Posts
From black to gray,red....
I think if you go from a darker color to a lighter color you may need bleach or somehow lighten it first.
I dunno maybe im not making sense...its early.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
that's probably right. I'm not sure going from
black to a lighter color would work in one step.
there's got to be something you have to do first like
herb said...probably bleach. like dying your hair

·
Registered
267 Posts
Well I did some lookin around and most of the articles out there said to use your existing color of carpet to compensate what u want.

Example - If you have blue rugs and you want purple ones just use red dye. Etc....

They also said light brown rugs can be dyed pretty much anything.(red and grey would work)

As for the bleach step..only one out of the five sites I saw said u could use chlorine....kinda not sure on this because it will weaken the fabric.
Lastly if you do dye your rugs let em dry at least 2hrs before you use them.

Good luck

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm just debating whether or not to remove them to dye,
or just take out the seats and dye it while it's there.
Might be tough to get to some spots, like under the
dash and the pedals.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hmmmmm....taking the whole thing out would be the best but that can be a pain in the bum.

Try working around it, take out seats, center consule and if you just pull out the front half over the pedals and from under the dash enough so you can get in there.

Or you can leave everything in and dye only the visible parts of the rug. (roll seats all the way back for front dye , roll seats front for back dye, mask everything off and dye slighty under the plastic)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts