Team Integra Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My roommate and I are having a disagreement on something and I though that you guys could sort this out once and for all:

Is it possible to flip/roll a 94-97 Integra from taking a sharp turn too quickly or is the car wide enough and low enough to keep it from fliping? (assume there is only the driver in the car, no passengers)

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Integras are actually not that great as people think when it comes to sharp turns and not rolling. Now I am not saying it will roll for sure but the risk is not the best. Compared to Prelude, the prelude is wider therefore harder to roll over. Basically any car can roll/flip, it all depends on condition its in, environment. If you want to finish this argument with your friend, then be the wise one and just say... "Yes all cars can roll, you can't defy gravity and your own stupidity". If you roll, then its because of the driver.

PEace

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Yeah, but the 98-01's have a special "anti-roll" system in them. When the car senses roll-over the car sprouts a pair of wings and fly's away to keep you from rolling.

But seriously, I don't know what to tell you. There has got to be a point at which the car won't roll over.

Heck, some NASCAR car's go sideways at 180+ mph and stay on the ground. But those are on the ground and are pretty wide.

Give me 1 week and some numbers and I can calculate a number on how much force it would require for the car to roll over.

Assumptions I will make:

The car's center of balance is in the dead center of the car. I know that is absolutely impossible, but without that assumption it'd be mighty difficult to calculate.

Ground is flat and level.

Standard earth gravity. (There is places on the earth where gravity is different)

Numbers I will more than likely need.

Distance from ground to bottom of car. I will figure out where the center of the car is in relation to that.

Weight of car.

Width from center of wheel driver's side to center of wheel passenger's side.

Length of car.

Height of car (not from the ground to the roof but from the bottom of the chassis to the roof)

It just sounds like a simple moment problem, and I should be able to pour through my books from College and figure it out.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Get it in the dirt, or get it airborn and I would beleive that it would be easy to roll it. However, on flat even pavement I bet it is damn hard to get the center of mass up and over one set of wheels simply by turning. Also, it is probably hard to get a Teg to the speed where air flow under the chasis will be enough to flip the car even when sliding sideways.

ThePro, don't you need coeficient of friction between road and tires as well? For one side of the car to want to rotate into the air, the other set of tires still has to grab the road. You might also want to consider that at this point you may have exceeded the road holding abilty of the tires. Then again I could be talking out of my ass since I am a computer engineer and I slept through statics, and the fact that this isn't a true statics problem.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Well, if you are on a skid pad, or a flat tarmac, for instance, it may be hard to get the car to roll. Depending on the car, it will simply skid around, go into a slide.

Not all cars will roll in this situation. However, add uneven surfaces into the equation, and you are looking for trouble,

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
xeenith on Feb/05/04 said:
ThePro, don't you need coeficient of friction between road and tires as well? For one side of the car to want to rotate into the air, the other set of tires still has to grab the road. You might also want to consider that at this point you may have exceeded the road holding abilty of the tires. Then again I could be talking out of my ass since I am a computer engineer and I slept through statics, and the fact that this isn't a true statics problem.
I would, but I'm not going to calculate the real life situation. I'm just going to calculate how much force would need to be put on the car if one set of tires was absolutely stuck to the road. Then if that works, then I'll figure out how much grip is actually happening when the car is in a slide and from there figure out all the rest.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Oo9o9xAzNoO - I don't think that is the question he is asking though. Of course it is possible to roll anything if you get it in the dirt, hit a lip on the road surface, drive it up an embankment, etc...

I think what prowler220x is getting at is the possiblility of rollover simply from turning, as there is in a vehicle with a higher center of mass

ThePro - I was thinking about how I would solve the problem, and I started looking on the web to see if anyone had done real calculations on this before. I found this

http://mb-soft.com/public/rollover.html

They have a decent explanation of the physics involved that may save you some digging around in old text books and be educational to the rest of us.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
There was a thread like this before ,I dont know what they came up with but i'll stick to my original opion here, if the ground is flat the car is dropped corectly, no sand ,dirt or wheel off the road or any off that dumb crap, I just dont see how a teg would flip, it would almost surely slide/spin.I belive this is true of most cars at least at speeds atainable by any of us,I mean otherwise the D1 guys would be screwed. No..no I dont see no way in hell that it would flip and before i belive it will someones gotta show me a pic of a teg flipped on flat ground and no foreign ellements involved, if you hit a brick thats different.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Is it possible to flip your Teg by simple taking a turn too sharply? No. Whether or not you flip depends on how you and the car react to taking the turn too fast. If the car spins sideways, yes it's possible. The car won't just spontaneously flip over from taking a corner too hard, lol. Basically there has to be a sudden force of great magnitude to flip the car over.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oo9o9xAzNoO on Feb/05/04 said:

Does this answer your question?
xeenith, your right, I know you can roll and Integra, that's not what I'm asking. I wanted to know more of the physics behind this situation, Thanks for all the input. To ThePro, I'll check back so see if you've come up with some numbers/statistics on this.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
The only way I could see a teg flipping or tipping simply by turning (no other outside influences), is if you were on R compounds, stock suspension, and got very unlucky.

In that case the tires may grip enough, and the center of gravity could be so far over, that the car could tip.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Do up your suspension and tires and it'll become alot harder to roll the car. Stockwise however, if you really wanted to you could def roll an Integra, or any car for that matter.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
do not drive like a retart and you should not flip the teg.

·
Registered
638 Posts
If you are taking a corner with negative camber, on the inside and at an excessive speed, then I am not saying you will flip, but there is a chance. say you are going 40 mph around a 120 degree angled corner,if you keep to the inside, you can feel the g's pulling on your car and the outside half of your car has more pressure on the side, giving your car a new center of gravity, defying the areodynamics and suspension on your balanced teg, that is bad, but if you take the corner from the outside then in at the apex of the corner, your chances of flipping/rolling are smaller. Having your car lowered with good suspension always gives you a better chance to keep all fours on the road, but any one can flip if they dont judge the corner right.!! Thats just my theory at least. Not exactly a physics major so if you disagree, I wont take it to heart.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.