Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a good chance I will be working in Anchorage starting 2007.I should be there for about 3.5 years.

Can you drive your teg all year long? How are the roads in the middle of winter? Can you make it with a 2wd like the teg?

I am trying to plan ahead. I loved driving my civic in Cleveland (OH) on the snow for 2 years, but I am sure Anchorage is another story.

Sincerely,

·
Registered
272 Posts
Your teg will do FINE in anchorage... I drove through 2 winters in fairbanks (harsher weather) with a dodge neon (lowered and lip kit) and got no damage to it).. I had studded tires tho.

btw: my home = houston :)

you post on houston-imports?

·
Registered
60 Posts
My first Winter in Anchorage I drove an '86 Mustang GT with "All Weather" tires.. I ended up in the ditch two times going up hills because my speed would drop, and my back end would kick out sideways. Going up hills is a challenge with rear wheel drive. Tegs have Front wheel drive, best for snow driving because the car is PULLING the vehicles' weight. That's one big advantage... in Alaska, it's legal to buy and equip STEEL studded tires. No other state in the union is allowed to use steel studs. So.. with Steel studs on all four and pulling from the front, you should do fine. Just make sure you "Attack" inclines and hills with a higher rate of speed so you can get up those slick icy slopes. I learned the hard way in the mustang, but the Integra has no problems with this challenge being a front Wheel drive. First winter in Alaska, buy and equip your Teg with the Steel-Studded tires. "All Weather" tires won't do you any good... unless you like being stuck in a ditch sideways submerged in 3 feet of snow! Take my word, I've been there! Congrats to ya, and happy driving - Alaska is a sweet place to drive in the summer beyond Palmer in a corner hugging integra!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
As long as you buy some studed tires you won't have a problem if you live in anchorage. If you have after market wheels I suggest you buy some cheapo 14 inch steel wheels because it you won't find studded tires for 16 inch wheels or higher (As far as I know). You might be able to get away with 15 inchers and some 205/50 or 195/50 studs if you can find those. Make sure you buy steel studs too otherwise you are wasting your money. So go to Sams club or Costco to get your tires. You can't beat the price or the warranty. ALSO, if you won't be parking your integra indoors during the night I suggest you get an engine block heater or an oil pan heater to keep your vtec power plant ready to rock at the drop of your clutch.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
i live in seattle and have a subaru outback to use for snowboarding, but as far as driving it around town.. does it do damage to anything driving it in the cold? or is it just risky because of black ice?i drove my 1987 crx up here during the winter, hell i even drove it UP SNOWY MOUNTAINS
but how does the integra differ? theyre both light and 2wd and fwd.... so yea basically if someone could fill me in thatd be great

1 - 6 of 6 Posts