Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
MSD cap on stock distributor works with MSD coil: yes.

performance benefits? : we have a thread on that in the common topic ignition section. please have a look at it before you start a new thread to rehash the topic here. it'd be a waste of time to restate what was on that thread again. you may have a follow-up question after you read the common topic and that would be something to add to this site's database instead of making it an endless repeating closed loop echo chamber.

have you read it and do you know the difference between a inductive vs capcitive discharge system before you throw money at it?

remember multi-spark is only active at less than 3000 rpm (3300 rpm in the digital 6+)

you're not reving close to 9000 rpm when the time in between each firing is very short and needs fast full charge recovery and you don't have excessive cylinder pressures (FI or really high CR NA) to impede spark travel causing misfiring. why do you need this?

if you're talking about a 7000 rpm redline k24A in a type S which you list on your profile, you're in the wrong website to ask that question but the same concept would apply.

gee MSD even offers to sell you a replacement rotor. I have a barely used MSD Digital 6 sitting around in my garage if you want to buy it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no i will be running it on a B series g2 integra turbo. I want the most mid range power i can get.

it is the black cap with the wire that goes to the coil pack.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Very clean civic, but the blaster2 coil pack and msd cap do increase your performance. I have put these on my car and definetly realized a difference in throttle response. I also cut the tabs on my distributor so I could advance the timing even further, you'll be happy with it!

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
I didn't know what you meant by "Pro Blaster" coil btw.

there's a couple of "Pro" coils and there are several "Blaster" coils by MSD. So you need to specify which one you meant.

there's a "Pro Power HVC" but you need to run their 7 series boxes with it instead of the 6 series. 7 series aren't used with 4 cylinders.

if you were referring to this Pro Power coil they don't recommend it for "long duration" use and only in drag racing or tractor pulls.

I used the anti-vibration blaster 2 coil with a 6A box and HVC coil with a digital 6+ box in the past but as I said, after having problems with redlining to 9300 rpm with 12:1 CR and a fried rotor later, I went back to a stock inductive system that worked just fine with NGK # 8 heat range racing plugs.

the SS Blaster coil and HVC Blaster are the other popular ones and the SS coilhas a little more secondary winding resistance capacity and higher max. voltage than the blaster 2, whereas the HVC coil has less secondary resistance and max. voltage.

which of their ignition boxes are you running?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i dont have anythign right now. I want to make it into the 13's on 7 psi and this seems like a cheap way to help. I think it is the SS blaster coil. If i dont make it in the 13's on 7 psi im sure i can do it on 11. But i have a small turbo and i think that would help mid range on my old motor. 1992 integra rs-turbo.

What would be best for a drag car w/o getting a new dist, only the MSD cap. (want to do it for under 100)

·
Registered
2000 Acura Integra GSR
2,880 Posts
First off, whoa. That is some serious ****. Second, is this going to be a street legal car? MSD makes a whole distributor system for B series, I know you said you didn't want to change your distributor but the cap, rotor, coil isn't going to do all that much, I know I have it.

The MSD **** is nice and all, it looks real pretty, but when you get down to it, Hondas have pretty good ignition setups as is.

Did you try just doing a simple tune-up w/OEM parts?

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
you need their capacitive discharge ignition.

what's the point of removing the distributor's stock internal coil and then popping their distributor cap on so that you can use a higher wind external coil but still use an inductive ignition??? A lot of wasted money, time, and effort for no advantage. if your going to an external coil and ripping your distributor out, don't cheap out and go half way, half-assed,..get the CDI.

·
Registered
42 Posts
if you opt for the MSD id get the MSD rotor too... until i got one i would burn a hole from behind the center contact to the distributor shaft... 1 about ever 7 - 10k km.. im using a MSD blaster 3 with the Digital 6

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
undermind on Feb/23/06 said:
im using a MSD blaster 3 with the Digital 6

Quote: Digital 6 Recommended Coils: PN 8207, PN 8252 or PN 8253

PN 8207 = BLASTER SS COIL SPECIFICATIoNS

Primary Resistance: .355 ohms
Peak Current: 300mA
Secondary Resistance: 6.2K ohms
Spark Duration: 180uS
Maximum Voltage: 48,000 volts

Primary Inductance:
6mH

Turns Ratio:
70:1 Tested with an MSD 6AL
measured at plug gap.

-------------------------------------------

PN 8252 = BLASTER HVC COIL SPECIFICATIoNS

Primary Resistance: 0.2 ohms
Peak Current: 300mA
Secondary Resistance: 1.38K ohms
Spark Duration: 200uS
Maximum Voltage: 42,000 volts

Primary Inductance:
7mH

Turns Ratio:
100:1 Tested with an MSD 6AL
measured at plug gap.

-------------------------

PN 8253 = BLASTER HVC II COIL SPECIFICATIoNS

Primary Resistance: 0.16 ohms
Secondary Resistance: 630 ohms

Maximum Voltage:
44,000 volts
Inductance: 3.5 mH
Turns Ratio: 100:1
Peak Current: 450 mA
Spark Duration: 450 uS

Quote:
BLASTER 2 AND 3 Coil SPECIFICATIoNS

Output Voltage: 45,000 Volts Maximum
Operating Voltage: 12VDC
Primary Resistance: 0.7 Ohms
Secondary Resistance: 4.7K Ohms
Turns Ratio: 100:1

·
Registered
131 Posts
QOUTE
you need their capacitive discharge ignition.

what's the point of removing the distributor's stock internal coil and then popping their distributor cap on so that you can use a higher wind external coil but still use an inductive ignition??? A lot of wasted money, time, and effort for no advantage. if your going to an external coil and ripping your distributor out, don't cheap out and go half way, half-assed,..get the CDI.

what is this and where do u find it ive looked

·
Registered
131 Posts
i still dont get what cdi is and where is at on online ive searched and what does it do and how does it help with horsepower gains can someone explain and show me where its at online ive looked all over msdignition.com

·
Registered
131 Posts
so is cdi where each cylinder has its own coil and operates by itself so basically there is 4 different separate ignitons am i right? one guy made a post about this but did not know it was the same thing

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.