Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey

Well i was just look under the hood and cleaning random stuff when i thought to look to see how dirty my air filter was. So i took of the top of the box around it, took it out, looked it over and decided that it was pretty clean.

well i didnt put the top back on (see pics)

all it does is make the teg sound louder.. i know it also raises the intake temp alot. i am just wondering how this can damage the engine if at all.

thanks
Jack

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
yes, put that cover back on. that is not an open-element filter. its not designed to take in air like that at all, you can cause more damage.

·
Registered
8,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<--- to cheap to buy a "REAL" intake

yeah it is freakin loud. i usually dont drive with it off except when i go out ricin lol....ahem. i think it slows the car down if anything due to the intake temps tho. and im scared of rain/puddles etc.

Is there a filter that would work w/o to much risk of damage?

Jack

·
Registered
240 Posts
despite what everyone says about it, i ran my car that way for several months with no ill consequences... other than noticable low end torque loss...

do it, it sounds nifty... at least until you get a better intake... its free, fun, and safe, from my experience

·
Registered
545 Posts
Dere are tons of replacement filter you can put into your stock box. I prefer the K&N type. But if you want that "ricer sound" without the cost of a intake just buy a K&N filter and take out your intake box/tubes and just connect the filter to the throttle body with clamps.

·
Registered
545 Posts
TheGSRGuy on Sep/01/02 said:
APEXi's Power Intake is an oil-free filter so there is no possibility of damaging any sensors. I read a review of the filtering abilities and it does better than K&N.

www.apexi-usa.com
The Apexi Power Intake Filter does give you more flow but at the loss of filtering capablities.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
The air box is nothing, you can open it up like that, it juss get dirty REALLY fast and prob clogs it up faster [hence slowing work down]. Eventually ou might just end up buying one of those cheap 20 dollar short rams lol.. They sound neato too.

I've seen a few of those open airboxes around here in other cars also..

·
Registered
594 Posts
Funny , I was thinking about removing the cover today too , i did , drove around with it and the car seemed less responsive which is quite strange. I guess Honda did its homework designing that intake system .

This is a Spoon performance filter for the Integra (yellow one). I don't know if the cover is supposed to be off or if it is off for the filter to be seen. I wonder what kind of performance it offers.

As for the APEXi Power Intake , this is one of the best - if not the best - open element filters when it comes to filtering capabilities . It's even better than KN replacement filters and that's probably because is a dry type . Kinda expensive though. If you want pure performance go with HKS SPF .

·
Registered
221 Posts
I was told if you have the stock intake on, if you remove the intake resonator from the bumper it will make it louder.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I tried to take the cover off mine, but i warped a screw cuz i used to much force. It seems like all the screws holding the box together are stuck! How do I fix this?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts