Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other night, A guy I know has a 90 Integra GS, I have a stock 90 LS.. so we pull up at a light, it goes green and i get a better launch than him.. When I shift at Redline he flew by me still in first gear , It sounded like his redline was at 8,000+ RPM! I was amazed on how much it helped him, He said he has Cams, dual valve springs, Type R pistons, intake Exhaust... I just wanted to know What made his car rev so high with so much power.. Anyone gimme some input please? Thanks :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know, he didn't say.. He said he can take his car up to 9k RPM's with what he has.. so cams do make you'r redline higher and add power?

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
The redline is the maximum safe RPM that your engine can handle. Certain things like upgraded valve springs, cams, etc can withstand more speed and stress than the stock components. once you've got all the bases covered, you can safely rev higher than the stock redline. But it's only as strong as the weakest link. A higher redline makes the car faster because it can go longer in each gear, and you can also shorten the gearing without losing top speed. Cams and pistons are also affect the engine's power output. Torque is the actual power, but most people talk about horsepower. Horsepower is just a calculation based on torque and RPM, which attempts to account for the advantage of a high rev'ing engine. But, it's far from a perfect measurement.

Internal engine mods are for the more serious mod'er. Most people go with simple "bolt-ons" and the serious guys at least start with that. Typical bolt-ons are things like intake, exhaust, header, high flow cat, and intake manifold. Most of those generate more power by making things a little more efficient, but they often come at a price, which is usually extra noise. But you can't just slap together a bunch of performance parts and have great gains. You have to choose each mod to produce power where you want it; mods that make power in different places (ie RPMs) may conflict with each other.
I could go on and on about each of those bolt-ons, but you should just read the articles here. Bolt-ons can make your car a bit faster, but it wont turn it into a Ferrari.

There's a lot you can do to make your car faster, but they all come at a price and it usually isn't just cash. Read up on the options and consider the consequences. There's a shop up in Longmont that you may want to check out. It's called FPP (Furious Performance Parts) and is on Main Street, just North of 9th Ave, by "Big G Muffler". The manager told me he can get pretty much any performance part for Integras. He should be able to answer a few questions too. I see a 2nd gen Teg there all the time, so I wouldn't be surprised if they know a thing or two about them.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
ha ha sounds like a plan mike if you cant beat them...race them till their car blows up...then you wont have any problems

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Mike That's pure EVIL!
Muuhhhwaaa HAAA HAAA!

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
do it.. **BoOM~!.. i'm sure you'd love to see his engine blow up on him.. all the pieces scatter across the floor.. the line of oil.. i know u want it.. somehow i dont think reving over 8000rpm for most honda engines is good at all..

i dunno.. one thing i learned about cars is that there's a hp peak.. mines at like 7800.. which would make it optimum to shift at 7800..
sounds logical to me.. unless of course i modified my car enough to change that peak hp..

·
Registered
457 Posts
9k sounds very high I wonder if he has a B16 and is not telling anyone.

·
Registered
88 Posts
This is to clear up something said by Weston. Simply changing cams and valve springs will not allow you to rev any higher. I am sure weston knows this, but you might not so here it is. When he said to have "all of your bases covered", this includes having an increased s/r ratio. If you do not know what this is, follow the advice of others and go read the tech articles on this site. You shoudn't even think about going over stock redline until you understand the mechanics of forces present inside you engine, and have of course modded your engine accordingly.

If you want a fast car, read, read again, then read some more. Home work is what separates the chrome bolt on posers from the ones who can beat thier pants off.

Woody

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
yes I agree, but to tell him to encourage his friend to do it....
Muuhhhwaaa HAAA HAAA!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts