Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Lets use common sense here.

The paint will probaly flake or melt off anyhow. I certainly wouldn't paint the heatshield when it's hot.

If it's a high temp paint that is made for that application, then go for it. Otherwise you're wasting your time and money.

·
Registered
801 Posts
There is a special, high-temp paint that you can buy. It works great on applications like this, as well as valve covers. To answer the question your thinking of right now of "Do they have CHROME high-temp paint?" Well, yes they do. I've seen it at local super markets and most automotive parts stores should carry it. To explain what the warning on your paint says is when it says it flammable, it means not to expose to OPEN flame. If it gets hot, it wont catch fire because once the paint is out of the can, it is not pressurized which means it is not able to combust. Good luck, post some pics up of it when your done.

·
Registered
801 Posts
IntegraBad18c on Jan/20/06 said:
The paint will probaly flake or melt off anyhow.

If he does it correctly, like "heat treat" it in an oven and does more than 2 applications of the paint, it wont flake. If you do do it in the oven, don't have it too hot, maybe around 150 or 200 degrees f.

·
Registered
400 Posts
IntegraBad18c on Jan/20/06 said:
Lets use common sense here.

yes, let's. if it's not paint made to resist high heat and it says flammable...then chances are it's either gonna flake of or catch fire don't ya think?! besides, why paint it if you can't really see it?

·
Registered
801 Posts
2kSeTrBoTeG on Jan/20/06 said:
besides, why paint it if you can't really see it?
Maybe he wants to look at it while he's working on his car. Some people have their own style and I support that...so don't diss on the guy.

·
Registered
801 Posts
ryus on Jan/20/06 said:
Maybe the flamable part is while the paint is not dried. You've never tried the flame thrower trick before?
Thats exactly what it is referring to. And that flame thrower trick works best with starting fluid...nice a warm!

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
brian43 on Jan/20/06 said:
i want to spray paint my ugly heat shield for the headers chrome but the paint says flammable should i not do this

Off the top of my head, i can't think of a chrome spray paint that can stand up to temps that high. I'm sure they have silver/aluminum colored but they are usually like engine enamels.

have you tried checking the duplicolor/plastikote ect...websites?

edit: seems like you already have the can, just curious, high high is it rated temperture wise?

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
I took my heat shield off and painted it with high temp black engine enamel. I fully expected it to work. 6 months after I painted it you couldn't even tell. All of the paint had flaked off and I didn't even touch it. So my answer would be that you can paint the heat shield, but don't expect it to last very long. Your best bet is just to take it off and polish it if you want it to look all chromey.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
^^ That is probably what happened to mine. It seriously didn't even look like I had painted it a year later. Every inch of paint just burned off and the heat shield looked just like it did before I painted it. It looked great for the show I painted it for though. :eek:) That's all that mattered.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
TheGSRGuy on Jan/23/06 said:
The closest to chrome I ever got with high-temp paint:

This was PlastiKote's aluminum high temp paint. It's a very bright silver. Never flaked off. (very old photo of my car, BTW)
Ive used this stuff before ^^^

it's probaly the closest thing to chrome that you can find that is going to work well, as well as have a long life.

good luck with the the project.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.