Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can Glass Get Waterspots?

Waterspots have been sitting on the trunk glass of my teg for about 2 months now (the glass with the 3rd windshield wiper). I havent washed my teg because I dont use my teg as a daily driven car. So, can Glass Get Waterspots? because I know paint can and waterspots arent to nice to look at and espiacially on glass. thanks.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
yes it can get water spots. I have seen people on here using vinigar to get rid of them. havent tried it personally though.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Yup, they can. Water spots are minerals in water, that are left behind to deposit when the water evaporates. Vinigar works well to remove them, also a mild glass cleaner and b&w newspaper also works well. The ink from the newspaper acts as a microfine polish, which will remove the waterspots and give your windows a nice clean result.

·
Registered
655 Posts
StyleTEG on Sep/22/02 said:
The ink from the newspaper acts as a microfine polish, which will remove the waterspots and give your windows a nice clean result.
Holy crap Style!! I'm impressed. You're becomming even more of a Guru than I previously thought. Very nice!!! The Mike D of looks! Thanks for the tip, bro!

Mike D = Performance & Other Technical Stuff
StyleTeg = umm, well... Style!!

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
RainX sells a great class polish too. It smells kind of minty. I've had good results getting spots off glass. Speaking of RainX, just putting that stuff on your glass will help prevent future waterspots from baking on as bad.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
RainX=crappy? how do you figure? There is a technique to applying it that has gotten nothing but praise from everone who has tried it. You apply the RainX first and then wash your car. Wash the windshield with the rest of your car and it will take off the dreaded RainX haze. After that it is nothing but perfect beading whenever the glass gets wet.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
95SilverBullet on Sep/22/02 said:
why spend money when u can have a cheap fix at your house?
Because an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. If you can treat your windows to protect them from future problems then you won't have to waste the time with household remedies. The problem just won't exist.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How about the the new "Armor All Glass Wipes"? Are those

any good for removing waterspots on the glass?

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Never tried the armorall glass wipes. How well they remove water spots depends on the strength of the chemicals.

I have tried the method that Jngr suggested in using RainX and it does work really well. The only reason I stopped using it on my windsheild is I found that if I don't constantly reapply it that my wipers start to streak. So I use it on the rest of my windows, and it works great.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
DOHCGSR on Sep/23/02 said:
How about the the new "Armor All Glass Wipes"? Are those

any good for removing waterspots on the glass?
They are no good. Tons of streaking. They are just Kleenex soaked in Windex for all I know. I'd rather use anything else. I've tried em and I don't like em. Just my view though.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yeah the "armor all" wipes.
well they suucckk really bad they leave little pieces of white crap all over the window
just use news paper it's the shi^!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
durb69 on Sep/23/02 said:
Yeah the "armor all" wipes.
well they suucckk really bad they leave little pieces of white crap all over the window
just use news paper it's the shi^!!
Armor All wipes might not be good as your referring to, but do they get the waterspots off the glass of the car? Im not saying to use them as a daily product. Im looking for a solution to get the waterspots off the glass of my teg.

- O' and I heard of that horrible wipe residue; hope its not bad as rain-x.

- anyone?

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
They won't work cleaning waterspots off. If you can't get them off with regular glass cleaner then the Armor All wipes won't help at all. If they are mineral deposits on your glass then you'll need something either mildly acidic, alcoholic, or abrasive to get them off. Vinegar, Rubbing Alcohol, or Glass Polish remain great options.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jngrbrdman on Sep/24/02 said:
They won't work cleaning waterspots off. If you can't get them off with regular glass cleaner then the Armor All wipes won't help at all. If they are mineral deposits on your glass then you'll need something either mildly acidic, alcoholic, or abrasive to get them off. Vinegar, Rubbing Alcohol, or Glass Polish remain great options.
"Glass Polish remain great options" any specific brands I should look for or trust while buying a glass polish?

-Brand?

And also, will putting rubbing alcohol on the my glass harm the glass at all? Isnt alcohol to abrasive to put on a car glass without doing any harm to it? thanks.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Autoglym is a good product to use. Its a little tougher to find in stores though. You are pretty much limited to ordering online. If you can find the RainX glass polish around then you could pick that up too. Say what you want about RainX, but their glass polish is really good stuff. Its not the same thing as the RainX that you use to repel rain. It kind of feels like Soft Scrub and it really gets those waterspots off good.

Alcohol won't harm the glass, but be careful that it doesn't drip down on your paint or on any plastics. I would apply it to a towel or a sponge and then try wiping it over the stains. Its safe enough for what you are using it for. Just don't try that on tinted windows.

·
Registered
35,673 Posts
StyleTEG on Sep/23/02 said:
I found that if I don't constantly reapply it that my wipers start to streak.
Exactly. My dad was in the wiper business for over 20 years and every independent test showed that RainX either did nothing or actually worsened visibility. It is also bad for the wiper blades' rubber.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Wow. I've been using RainX for 7 years now. Maybe it has had some effect on my wiper blades, but I can't say that the visibility is worse. I don't buy any study that says that RainX doesn't do anything. The affects of RainX are obvious. Getting beads on your glass vs sheeting is a huge clue. I'm not going to argue that its the most healthy thing for your wiper blades but I am going to have to call BS on someone saying that it does absolutly nothing for visiblity. Its a huge improvement if you apply it properly.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts