Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi did a bit of a search on pads and squealling and such, didnt really find an answer to my question.

My brakes squeal pretty bad generally when i start the car to go to work/go home etc, but after about 5 minutes of driving there is little to no squeaking, theres not an excessive amount of dust or anything and i dont think its the pads cause the squealing basically goes away ... so what is it? is it the pads that need a change or is it something else? and why does the squealing go away after a "warm up period?"

Thanks

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
only when the pedal is down, during an initial start i can feather the brakes and they squeal basically from 1/3 to 1/2 of the way down. im just wondering if i hose down the brakes with some brake cleaner will this sort it out? or should i just stop being a knob and buy some new front and rears?

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
First check the condition of your pads/rotors. If they need to be replaced then do that.

If they are ok, then its most likely moisture build up and surface rust. It goes away after the car has been driven for a while. You should notice this after you wash your car as well.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I believe i had the same problem as you. I think the pads are fine but the squealing noise is coming from your rotors. Take the wheels off and check the rotors they should be smooth. The squealing noise normally comes from the pads rubbing across rough rotors. Just get your rotors machined if possible. My car brakes like new. If the problem aint your pads or your rotor i wouldnt have a clue

·
Registered
80 Posts
Put a little high temperature silicone grease on the back of your brake pads. They even have little packets of it at Auto-Zone. That will usually kill a brake squeal if everything else is fine. I am assuming that your rotors are smooth, your pads are not worn, and your calipers are not stuck. You will have to pop the calipers off to do this (a good time to make sure that your rotors are smooth, your pads are not worn, and your calipers are not stuck). 20-30 minutes a corner if you are taking your time (cleaning as you go) and no fasteners are rusted in place.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts