Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
5,555 Posts
Is the real number to be concerned with the dynamic compression number? Say if I am planning to upgrade my pistons before cams, would that put me into more dangerous levels of compression because of a milder cam setup?

· Registered
5,555 Posts
Interesting specs, I don't have the money to drop into a complete internals package right away so that's why I was wondering. I think there is no point in getting big cams first thing and wasting time/money to tune them on stock CR when they will have to be re-tuned once the new pistons go in. I was thinking pistons would be the obvious first choice if I had to do things one at a time but was concerned with leaving the stock cams if dynamic compression would be over the top. Looks like I will have to think about things a little differently with more information and that's always a good thing.

on a side note do you have a link to a good place that explains how the exhaust system can create an acoustic supercharging effect? I'd really love to learn about that.

· Registered
5,555 Posts
Acuranerd on Jul/06/02 said:
Here is my reasoning. In short, the reason why overlap affects the DCR is because while you are on the compression stroke, the exhaust valve is still open, therefore you are losing some of your compression out of the exhaust. That is why FI cars use short overlap cams.
I really hope you mistyped that, because that statement was way wrong. From the shop who can supposedly build the fastest cars in the world that I would expect you to at least know something as basic as that the exhaust valve would never be open on the compression stroke.

Maybe you are the owner of the shop or the guy that takes the money behind the desk so you don't know much about what the tuners do. In that case it's okay, but then I would be careful with dispensing advice when you really don't know much about what's going in your shop's engines. Do you really know these shop secrets or is one of your secrets actually opening the exhaust valve on the compression stroke?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.