Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a LS non Vtec( is there LS Vtec anyway?? I think I saw LS vtec..)

I bought a set of Cam gear for my teg. The cam gears were from Unorthodoxracing(is this a good brand?).
I put'em in about 4 months ago. But I never felt the power. There was no difference. Some people telling me putting Cam Gears in Non vtec is waste of money cause Ill get maybe 1 or 2 hp.. but is that true? Did i waste my money?
I am very confused... please share your expz

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
try doing a search on unorthodox racing cam gears and you'll see why these are a very bad pair of cam gears. as for them doing anything, well they arent. the reason for this is because im sure you didnt get cams either right?? and you also didnt get them tuned. did you?? so yes to answer your question you did waste your money, but not because you have a non vtec.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey hootb18 please tell me more about unorthodoxracing equipments. Cause I also have their stage 1 clutch and works great..

to tell you the truth. I blew off my engine 3 weeks ago. I dont know the reason but my LS non vtec(with Unorthodox cam gears tuned and new timing belt) got something wrong and hit the spark plug and No.4 piston got a hole itself. Ofcourse I swapped with another used LS non vtec engine and now im running fine but didnt put the cam gears back in yet(I was going to).
people at the shop telling me there was a somthing wrong with timing... I belive its the cam gear...

I tried to do research on Unorthodox but no one talks about it. Please tell me more about them hootb18 I really want to know more about it. Thank you so much for your work.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
if the cam gears were installed improperly without assuring that the cams were straight up at Top Dead Center (TDC) on the install for the zero marking on the cam gear then no matter what the brand, the timing will be off. If the timing belt is old and stretched or worn and allows the belt to jump during regular operation, the timing belt will be off, no matter what the brand of cam gear.

A poor quality cam gear will slip after you torque down the bolts (use Honda specs only, don't guess what the torque spec is or "overtighten"). A slipped cam gear will also throw off your timing. As I've said many times in the past, over and over: what's a "good" cam gear? get a cam gear that has at least 4 bolts (preferably not allen key type), is light to reduce valvetrain weight (billet), and has accurate etched-on markings (accuracy is important (usually done by computer laser etching) and etching is important since painted on markings can wear off).

replace your timing belt at 60,000 miles or after you have had major headwork or blockwork done. replace the water pump at the recommended scheduled interval.

degree the cams and install them properly. Install the cam gears properly.

That way you don't run into these timing issues....and kaboom issues.

cheers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts