Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wassup guys..

i have a set of cam gears, they are in great condition, exce[t for where the cam key fits. one of them slipped and the cam key pushed against the slot in the cam gear hard enough to make a small dent. its really small, but noticable, and spands about 3/4 the cam key slot in the sprocket. teh cam key was jammed in there, and i had to take a screw driver and some force to remove it.

i want to know how important the slot is in the cam gears, and want to know if i can reuse these cam gears again, if i make sure they do not slip.

BTW, do any of you know how to measure stroke? i have a crankhaft sitting here.. i don't know if its a b16a, or b17a. how can i tell? thanks

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
I would not use that cam gear again personally. I'm not a high roller at Vegas either. Too risky. If you are off from TDC and get an untimed engine or one that is slightly off, the chances of piston slap goes up dramatically. All it takes is having 2-3 teeth off on the timing belt and you can do some serious harm.

Can't the exact stroke determined using a dial indicator on the journal (like you would on the crankshaft run out) while you rotate the crank? Or you could just place a rod perpendicular to a journal while the crankshaft is on the lathe, rotate the crank 1 revolution and measure the vertical change of that rod.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hehe thanks for the info. its hard to part with these gears because they are toda 1st gen gears, a discontinued but sought afater item here in cali. i rechecked the gears.. it seems the key bent the top edge out, but from the middle down, the slot is flat and has not moved.
i'll put a key in there and find out what happens..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts