Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm looking to upgrade my calipers,and i'm wondering if i should go with the TYPE R calipers. (i have an rs) is there even a difference ? or should i get after market ones? which kind? sorry for all the questions, and thanx in advance

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
are the type r calipers a direct bolt on--i say this b/c the type r comes with the 5 lug and i think a bigger disc (i think its 13" instead of the 11.5)

i was also wondering if anyone knows if NSX calipers would fit on -- these are 4 piston. There wqas a set on ebay a while ago but i passed them up b/c i wasnt sure---
i would like to get calipers too but maily because one of mine (driver rear) is sticking--

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well my rear ones are sticking ,or i least i feel like they are and i've had them replaced already (last year) under warranty but they still seem to stick so i figure i'm gonna up grade them.what's an LCA?

·
Registered
743 Posts
then you'd have 5 lug hubs w/ the itr's right? what size are the nsx/legend rotors? Are the legend calipers 4 piston too?

md, you said the rear require the lca, so does that mean the front just bolt on?

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
you can get 4 lug rotors that are the same size as the ITR ones from fastbrakes.com or Spoon. I prefer the fastbrakes.com ones for the price and quality you get. So we are not talking about an plain ITR swap. You will need to change add on the REAR oNLY lower control arms like the ones on the ITR.

I don't think it's worth the expense of swapping to an entire 5 lug system based on a "feeling".

11 in. rotors for the nsx/legend.

If you are locking up in the rear brakes you would know right away...there's no mistaking it or guessing...the back end will want to swing around like a barn door opening...it's called oversteer. Locking the rears in a FWD car is pretty dangerous. There's no such thing as "sticking" brakes. They lock up and you see smoke puffing out of the rear tires when you lock the rears. Anyone following you can see it happening. Then they see you spinning out after you lock 'em up.

As I said, you would know if your rear brakes aren't doing their job or if you have a brake balance issue front versus rear....

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Instead of bigger callipers and rotors, would just replacing the brack pads with like the EBC pads and maybe just upgrade to slotted rotorsgive you better braking? Noticably better? I like low 60 - 0 times too!

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Here's a link to a lengthy thread about brakes.

It touches on some of the points and questions that you guys are bringing up. MD comments and explains fairly detailed about the itr setup, what it requires, where to get it, etc.

brake thread

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
better brake pads do improve braking distances but for major changes you need to improve the clamping force (i.e. going to a caliper with more clamping force).

The rotor size changes and crossdrilling/slotting affect how much heat can be released and how much outgassing (release of dissipated gases between the rotor and the pad) can be removed, respectively.

on the street, you rarely get up to a high enough rotor temp. to need a bigger rotor. This is more of a show item than a performance item.

If you looked at our Grand Am NSX which raced in the series last year, you would be surprised to see that the rotors are stock diameter.

John got the front row of the grid in qualifying at Mosport against bigger powered Porsche 911's, Mustangs, and Audis using the stock rotor diameters.

The big brake thing where you can only fit 17 in. wheels over the rotors (for the street at least) is more about hype and show than about performance substance.

Braided stainless brake lines offer better pedal feel but on the street does not affect braking performance. on lapping autoX, they do provide higher brake fluid pressure if you use the correct DOT4 brake fluid with the correct wet boiling point. If you are only looking for better pedal feel for the street a cheap way is to use zipties and tighten the stock brake line (not enough to close ot off but to pinch down on it to get more pressure).

So in a nutshell, brake pads are probably the best simple way to improve street braking performance.

I use Porterfield R4S pads. I hear Endless pads are quite good but "hearing" about it is one thing but actually driving with them is another so take that with a grain of salt. I've tried AEM/Nisen pads, Hawk HPS, EBC greens, and Brembo pads. I like the Porterfields for wear and performance (street and weekend autoX/lapping) better. Don't get the all out racing pads like Panther since they wear the rotors faster and are noisy (they are race pads with more bite..racers don't care about noise, just how fast they can stop...this is not true for the street high performance car).

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Thanks Mike, Is there a place online to order the Porterfield padds? Do you suggest putting those up front and leaving the stock pads in the rear, or upgrading all 4?

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
I upgraded all 4. I don't know what that would do to brake bias if you went with just the fronts. If someone has done this then please jump in and advise.

you can order direct from Porterfield:

http://www.porterfield-brakes.com/pads.htm

check out their FAQ section too. They are a well known brand, along with Hawk, among racers.

here's a good commentary on them:

http://integra.vtec.net/geeser/brakes.html

please check out these other sites and their FAQ to compare and gain more info for yourself on carbon kevlar pads.

http://www.hawkperformance.com/home.cfm

http://www.endless-sport.co.jp/etop.htm

cheers

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm planning on ordering Hawk HPS pads for my rear brakes, has anyone used them before? how do you feel about them? are they recommended? I dont want to shell out $80+ for a pair, just for everyday driving.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts