Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah I know there are a million caliper painting threads already, but Im in the process right now.
For those of you have had painted - I followed the article cleaning them first, now I started painting and Ive done like two coats. There seems to be little parts of the caliper that are still the original color and the paint just sorta runs off them. Its like on certain parts the paint isnt "sticking" and its not drying on that part - its just running off leaving no trace of paint. Is this normal??

Ok Im off to apply another coat of paint, hopefully it works this time!

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
you are applying the coats to thick.

It should take at least 4-5 coats before the caliper is completely covered. The previous coats should just be slowly building up on the areas that are not painted.

It also sounds like you didn't use a primer?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I didnt use a primer. I followed exactly what was in the article. I cleaned off the caliper using that brake cleaner real good and then started painting.

Do you recommend I run back to the store and get some primer then? It's slowly building up but at this rate Im definitly going to need another can of paint and it's going to take A LOT of coats...

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mdiddy on Feb/03/04 said:
i didnt use primer on mine--and it came our alright i also only did like 2-3 coats--you might just be spraying too thick
You mean just spray a coat on lightly and not use so much paint?

Argh this is really taking forever, my brother isnt home right now so I cant use his jack. So therefore Im doing these one at a time! Ohwell live and learn, hopefully the next 3 will go better

Damm it Jonathan GET HOME!!

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Adam, keep the tip about 6-10 inches away from the caliper. Spray in quick short lines. First spray one time left to right and then spray right to left. If there is a spot that paint is just rolling off of it probably has road grime or brake gunk on it. What kind/color paint are you using?

·
Registered
118 Posts
if you used the brake cleaner you gotta take that off, i had the same problem, it doesnt stick to the cleaner so you gotta get all the brake cleaner off real good before you start painting

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright yeah slowly but surley its starting to get there. This is literally going to take me all day to do, but ohwell itll be worth it. I know now so hopefully the other three calipers wont be so bad. I'm still going through coats on the first one - looks like Im going to need another can...

·
Registered
359 Posts
hi guys...i was also wondering what type of calipers are u guys usin?...wut is the heat resistent temp go up to?...i see 500F to 900F b4 and i think i saw 1200F b4...so iuno...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey can I get the opinion of some of of you guys?
I got a green Integ and i too wanted to join the caliper paint club , but IM not sure what color to go with for paint. ANY HELP?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Omarski on Jun/27/07 said:
Hey can I get the opinion of some of of you guys?
I got a green Integ and i too wanted to join the caliper paint club , but IM not sure what color to go with for paint. ANY HELP?
Are you aware this thread is over three years old??? anyways how about fluorecent orange??

1 - 20 of 30 Posts