Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright ive realized my posts dont get replied to that often so i am trying this one mroe time and this is a serious question.My friend who currently drives a 99 civic ex 2dr is ready to get a new engine and is debating on either the b18c or the b18c5 engine. Which would offer better performance and realiability? The gsr engine i know is better to get if you want to run turbo but how reliable is that? Or is it better to run all motor type R? And what kind of 1/4 mi times are we looking at with both engines installed on the civic?

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
More reliable? I think they both are VERY reliable. Neither is ideal for turbo as the compression is too high. Better performance? The TypeR engine, of course.

What kind of 1/4 mile times for the Civic? I don't know, tell your friend to go to a civic site and ask them, we don't specialize in Civics. Doesn't he have a computer?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually he doesnt have a computer , hes saved about 6g's since 1999 to get engine money and i am trying to help him out by doing anything i can.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
well we can't help you on the 1/4 times except with guesses and estimates because, well none of us have civics...

Just a little something to think about. The price of a b18c1 is going to be about three grand.

Price for a c5 is going to be about 5 grand.

With the differenece of the 2 grand, you could probably make the c1 faster than the c5. Just something to think about...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i was also thinking about that but like what kinda gueses do u have on the 1/4, or what does the type r run?

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
SurferX's article

Check it out for yourself. Keep in mind that the TypeR weighs less than the GSR...Note the hp ratings as well...

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
with the c5 I would GUESS he'd be running low 14's since the civic is lighter than the Integra...this is a GUESS, and you better hope that you friend is one hell of a driver...

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
justin not to be an ass or anything but...people actually do have civics here my friend has a civic and he has an account here i have a hatchback with a gsr and i do, so dont assume that no one has a civic, as for 1/4 time, depends what they have in the moter or do u want stock 1/4 times

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks alot, yeah i remember seeing that comparison chart a while ago , with all considered and thanks to you ive gotten a better idea of things thanks alot justin

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
No problem, good luck with your friends project.

And I know people have civics on here, not a lot of them have b18's in them though...I'm not that narrow minded.

·
Registered
569 Posts
why not get a b18b1 for $1000 then spend $2000 on internal work and $3000 on turbo and he'll be around low 12's and hihg 11's in the 1/4.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
integra04life on Sep/02/02 said:
Which would offer better performance and realiability? The gsr engine i know is better to get if you want to run turbo but how reliable is that? Or is it better to run all motor type R? And what kind of 1/4 mi times are we looking at with both engines installed on the civic?
Define "better performance". Both are great cars to build high output N/A beasts.

Both are extremely reliable in N/A trim.

Turbo setup will only be as reliable as you build it. Upgrading internals and making sure that you research your desired setup before hand to make the necessary safegaurds to your engine will ultimately determine the reliability.

You saw the quarter mile times in the link that justin posted. Those will give you a vague estimate of what your buddy will be able to run w/ a lighter car such as the civic.

Ultimately, you friend should decide on what type of whp numbers and what type of powerband he wants (this will determine if he should go N/A or small turbo vs. larger turbo w/ longer spooltime but big kick up top)

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
this is a very naiive question.

how reliable an engine is depends on many factors: proper assembly using recommended factory clearances and specs and not guessing and torquing til it's tight, proper engine break-in procedure, proper maintenance, proper tuning at the dyno, what parts were added, and if it was driven by an idiot or not (idiot meaning they hit the fuel cut off repeatedly, entered it into a burn out competition, or kept it at wide open throttle way too long). Honda builds reliable engines. It's what's done to them after they leave the factory that is the determining factor for a "reliable" engine.

If you are getting an engine (rebuilt or used), it's always good to get a compression test and leakdown test done on the engine (if the rebuilt engine is broken in and the rings seals and bearings have seated). That will give you a good idea of the condition of the engine.

I'm sorry but if you use a basic search engine , there are literally tons of web pages comparing the differences between the B18C1 and B18C5. If you can't use your search engine and can't find them, let me know and I can point them out to you.

I think your friend has to decide the power or performance goal first. Then decide if N/A or turbo can be achieved with that goal in a decent budget. Then choose the engine. You sound very disorganized and you don't have your "ducks in a row" to help you rationally decide what you are to do. Get organized first: determine your power goal, determine the package you need to get it (FI or N/A: an N/A 1.8 motor won't make more than 220 whp and last..don't try to compare a race engine that makes 250-300 whp N/A and gets rebuilt after 1000 miles to it), determine your budget and who is going to put this engine in and tune it. Include the costs of the assembling and tuning into your budget. Locate and cost compare the shops around you.

These sorts of questions are too broad in focus and needs the person asking the question to do a bit more organising and homework. Focus in a bit more and spend some time preparing and you will end up with better replies.

Let me know if you have a hard time finding those sites comparing the type R engine to the GSR engine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts