Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing the stock header on my 94 GSR. I finally convinced the wife to let me spend that kind of cabbage.

The question is: Which one do I buy?

Comptech 4-2-1

or DC Sport 4-1

Anyone have experience with either of these headers?

Know of a reliable vendor to order from?

All input is appreciated.

Phil

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm running the Comptech 4-2-1 (TIG welded) on my non-v-tec ls motor. Gives ya great mid-range power, but due to it's design, may not give you as much power as the 4-1 in the upper rpms (even though the difference felt on a N/A motor will be minimal). If money is an issue, then go w/ DC Sports, but if not, Comptech's products are great! A lot of Teg owners I know are using DC Sports (both stainless steel & ceramic coated) and are very happy with their current set-up even though a Hytech Header is on everyone's wish list (lol). Good luck shopping for your header Mr. Wizard

·
Registered
444 Posts
try the neuspeed n2, fit perfect, its ceramic coated inside & out, and i could tell the torq & power differance!

·
Registered
431 Posts
I would spend extra $$ for a comptech, it's not that most hondas have DC Sports headers...maybe yes

·
Registered
391 Posts
Sidenote:
Question for you guys about headers. I just picked up a 94 GSR and I was looking it over and found something interesting. The exhaust manifold looks like a 4-2-1 header. Is that what the stock exhaust on a GSR looks like?
--Tony

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
jamiestarr98 on Aug/30/02 said:
Sidenote:
Question for you guys about headers. I just picked up a 94 GSR and I was looking it over and found something interesting. The exhaust manifold looks like a 4-2-1 header. Is that what the stock exhaust on a GSR looks like?
--Tony
The stock Exhaust is a 4-2-1 setup with heat shield. If it has no heat shield and no holes for the heat shield, then it's aftermarket.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Yes the stock manifold is a 4-2-1. If it has no heatshield but looks like an ugly lump of crap then it's the stock manifold.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
stock manifold on a GSR is a 4-2-1 design, if you want more midrange power and torque go with a 4-2-1 design aftermarket-- bigger pipes and straigter design gives more flow-- if you want more high end and dont care for teh 3500-5500 range of normal driving go with a 4-1 (more designed for high revving drag apps)

also keep in mind that ia 4-1 is better if you decide that later you may want to go with a SC or high shot of NOS....
Always get ceramic instead of stainless steel-- ywo reasons-- stainless changes colors and looks hideous after a month-- turns black and blue and green---
ceramic stays nice and clean when you take care of it...
DC is known for their header-- thats what put them on the scene--- if you are truly willing to spend bucks Spoon is always an option through Optauto.com or jdmhondaparts.com they are copper and dont change much either great heat resistance EXCELLENT FLOW--- i could go on for days------

good luck--

·
Registered
391 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. The heat shield was off the car, but I'll check for the mount points when I get home.
--Tony

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
also keep in mind that ia 4-1 is better if you decide that later you may want to go with a SC or high shot of NOS....

Taken from Gvtec's supercharger article.

Quote: * Header with long primaries --> 4-1 header with long primaries maintains backpressure while allowing gasses to be evacuated more efficiently, for the NA guys. A supercharger engine makes more power with a header with short primaries because it's all about volume. once that compressed air hits the exhaust stream it expands, volume goes up, and it needs to go somewhere, fast. Backpressure isn't a problem in FI because there's plenty of it, due to expansion. As a rule of thumb, the higher your static and dynamic CR, the shorter the primary tubes should be.
=)

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
STyleTeg: Great info! I think I am going with the 4-1.

I want my power in the midrange, but the plot that SurferX posted seems to indicate that there isn't that much difference until high RPM.

Money is, and isn't a concern. I have heard bad things about the DC headers for the NSX (Dad has a 94 NSX), so I was concerned about quality. I am willing to pay extra $$$ for high quality.
The points made about the DC header for the Integra are valid, This header IS their bread and butter product, I am sure they have invested in quality...

Looks like I am going DC, unless someone has additional information to dissuade me.

Phil

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
12:55 EST Ordered DC Sport 4-1 Stainless (I like the discoloration)

I am totally psyched.

Phil

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wanted to post an update. My Header was the first of what I hope will be a long list of mods that I used Team-Integra to help me select.

I have had my Stainless DC Sports 4-1 on the car for over a month now, and I couldn't be more pleased. Power is seat of the pants significant in the upper rev range. I pull incredibly strong up to 8000rpm, and the sound is phenominal.
My header is now a gold/orange tinge, but as I said before: I really like that.

Thanks go out to everyone who contributed to this thread when I needed it. The information led to a selection that I am very pleased with.

Phil

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
I hope no-one here walked away thinking that a long primaries 4-1 header is the ideal layout for a SC B18C.

Endyn SC header Test Link (click here)

the DC 4-1 and 4-2-1 are USDM with the 2 in. collector. The JDM ITR 4-1 primaries were SHORTENED by 6 in. before the collector was welded back on.

This test was done on an engine dyno "apparently" (let's not get into it please) using a JRSC'd B18C5 with 16 psi boost with all the amenities for that level of boost to prevent it from going kaboom.

As you can see the ideal layout is a short primaries with large diameters 4-1 and at least a 2.5 in. to 3 in. diameter collector which is short in length....not a long primaries 4-1 made for N/A as was alluded to earlier in this thread.

Please read Gvtec's quoted post again carefully:

Taken from Gvtec's supercharger article. said:
* Header with long primaries --> 4-1 header with long primaries maintains backpressure while allowing gasses to be evacuated more efficiently, for the NA guys. A supercharger engine makes more power with a header with short primaries because it's all about volume. once that compressed air hits the exhaust stream it expands, volume goes up, and it needs to go somewhere, fast. Backpressure isn't a problem in FI because there's plenty of it, due to expansion. As a rule of thumb, the higher your static and dynamic CR, the shorter the primary tubes should be.
details, details, details....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts