Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok I searched first and there was a thread posted on this but it is no longer available. Can you you guys lemme know what to look for when buying a used (b16) tranny? Anything other than no grinds, leaks because thats all Ive been told and it has 70 000 kms
thanks T-I!

·
Registered
157 Posts
im buying a type r trans today hopefully. guy says no grinds on it but what exactly do i look for when its out of the car. Obviously the trans number and the lsd by looking through the axle holes, but how do i know if gears are ok and so forth?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Unless you know how to look for wear on the syncro sleeves, or check if the bearings are good theres not a whole lot to find. I would take drain it, and take off the case to look inside.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My car needs a new tranny and the only 1 so far my mech. found 1 in NY for 750 but is there a diff type of tranny i can use on my 92 gsr like a b16 or from a 3rd gen cause i don't want to be paying that much for a used tranny thanks.

·
Registered
253 Posts
You can not use a hydraulic transmission on your cable transmission car unless you buy the Hasport kit. The B16 transmission is going to cost quite a bit alone. If you really need to save cash find a cable LS transmission.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Shafta on Dec/11/06 said:
You can not use a hydraulic transmission on your cable transmission car unless you buy the Hasport kit. The B16 transmission is going to cost quite a bit alone. If you really need to save cash find a cable LS transmission.
where can i found one then?

·
Registered
51 Posts
StokelesS_g2 on Dec/11/06 said:
Find a JDM b16 trans.
Even better if you can get the one with LSD.

Both of you 92-93 guys will just need to use a 90-91 clutch disc though.

Look in g2ic to see if anyone has any trans for sale.
So lsd i don't need a harness is lsd like cable tranny?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Richies92GSR on Dec/11/06 said:
Quote: StokelesS_g2 on Dec/11/06Find a JDM b16 trans. Even better if you can get the one with LSD.

Both of you 92-93 guys will just need to use a 90-91 clutch disc though.

Look in g2ic to see if anyone has any trans for sale.

So lsd i don't need a harness is lsd like cable tranny?
LSD, is limited slip differential.
It helps both wheels spin at the same time for better traction.
Search for better details.

Or you can install an aftermarket LSD into your trans, but make sure it a streetable one.
I know someone who bought a drag LSD and he can hardly make corner turns without chirping, LOL.

Some JDM b16 cable trans have it.
Or USDM Type-R hydro trans have it.
(must use hydro to cable conv. kit for the Type-R trans)

My friend got one brand new for $1,800
(must have Honda hook-up for this price though)

·
Registered
51 Posts
my mech. has a g2 ls but i don't know what year but it has 128k miles on it and he said he will sell it to me for 1200 and i can part it out like takin the tranny and takin the ls tranny would be good cause it is short geared not like the gsr so that could get me to faster acc. right? and if it wouldn't be good for my car since it is bone stock other then intake would it make a diff?

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Richies92GSR on Dec/13/06 said:
my mech. has a g2 ls but i don't know what year but it has 128k miles on it and he said he will sell it to me for 1200 and i can part it out like takin the tranny and takin the ls tranny would be good cause it is short geared not like the gsr so that could get me to faster acc. right? and if it wouldn't be good for my car since it is bone stock other then intake would it make a diff?

haha, shorter gears give you faster acceleration but lower top end speed

LS trannies are longer geared than the GS-R

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just purchased a 95 GSR transmission w/ 75k on it for $450 shipped on Ebay from a trusted seller (its all about feedback on Ebay). This was to replace my LS transmission. I love the shorter gears! I just took it down to the transmission shop and they did some kind of test and told me it was in great shape. I'm not sure what they charged me for the test because I had them install the transmission with a new Exedy clutch & ACT 12 lb. flywheel that same day and it came out to about $500. Hope that helps. Goodluck!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.