Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is there anything I should look for when buying one?
This is correct size right -3/8 in. Drive 5/8 in. Sparkplug Socket?
The one below has no reference to magnet but there is some rubber inside that hugs the spark - $3
<3/8 in. Drive 5/8 in. Sparkplug Socket>
A reviewer says "Also the rubber grommet inside that grips the top of the plug is sturdy. The last one I had the ring came out and got stuck on the spark plug after it was installed in the car and was a pain to get to... " He says though its rubber, its a better construction. But two negative reviews complained of the rubber dated Apr 2020. Overall review is 92% out of 319 purchases.

This one is magnetic and cost $7
<https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/power-torque-tools-4691/tools---equipment-16488/hand-tools-16814/sockets-25357/bbff8604ac1f/power-torque-5-8-inch-magnetic-spark-plug-socket-3-8-inch-drive-6-point/gm8558/4677721>
This has only 6 reviews but overall 98%.

Any other products? Pls advice as to which one I should stick with? I want less trouble.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, 5/8-in. (~16mm) is the correct size spark plug socket, and fits the typical NGK plugs. Have an extension bit ready, because the plugs are recessed inches in the well. The Harbor Freight one is probably fine for use once in a while, though it'd be smart to test fit the plug & socket at the store. I own a Craftsman one, because years ago, HF sockets used poorly cut, loose rubber hose as the inner grip. Good luck.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks @PolarZero

I went to the OReilly - their product is not magnetic despite the ad. Craftsman also had issues with the rubber according to the link below - guess quality is not as good as it used to be.

Here is a list:

·
Registered
68 Posts
I hate the rubber booted sockets. I feel like those are old technology for amateur mechanics. I bought the magnetic one from Oreilly's right off the shelf a couple years ago. Lifetime warranty. Never going back. Magnetic is where it's at.

Trust me. It's awesome.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts