Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the car to my local mechanic with the check engine light flashing and the car running rough. At first he thought it only needed new spark plugs, wires, etc. I left it with over the weekend and called him back yesterday. I guess the new ignition parts did not fix it so he ran a compression check. I think it was the 3rd cylinder that had no compression. He thinks it's the valves. He said he could pull the head and have it rebuilt but the car has 275,000 miles on it and he thinks a new head on an engine with that many miles would not be a reliable fix. He is going to try and locate a used engine and I'm doing the same but nothing yet. This car is in great shape inside and out (other than the engine). The other option would be to sell as is but I have no idea what it's worth. If I keep it my wife said I could do what ever I wanted to restore it to "like new". That's a pretty tempting offer. The paint is not terrible ( I keep it in the garage) but it has oxidized like most Hondas do. I guess I have two questions for the forum 1) What would it be worth as is and 2) what is the best course of action for replacing the engine. My mechanic said he used to rebuild them but its was too labor intensive. I think I have the B18C1. Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
see if Japanese pull out engines are still available. Japan salvages all relatively new vehicles and is a good source for engines. The only problem is the b engine has been out of production for a long time and there may not be any left. For fun check a Honda dealer and see if a reman is available. Used engines are a toss up. One may be a piece of trash and another may be a creampuff with some free upgrades installed by the previous owner. One option is to rebuild the head and maybe look into anything you would want to do with it. Honda makes good stuff so I would be careful about upgrades as they might not work as well as factory, such as cams. Hard to beat Honda cams. Anyway, while you are driving on your fresh head you can look for an engine to put in the car. And your mechanic is right. A fresh head can be hard on an old bottom end. But you could do that until you got an engine if you need your car. I have a 99 integra and she needs some love. But I am gonna keep it until I die. Damn good car. I will be looking for an engine myself in the near future. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your line of thinking is exactly what I'm leaning toward. I found a shop through a family friend that recommended going ahead with rebuilding the head. He said while the head was off if the pistons/cylinders looked like they needed attention they could drop the oil pan so they would have access to the piston rods. There shouldn't be any reason to pull the engine. I love the car and this should get keep me going until I decide if I want keep it forever and try restore it to what it was in 1998. I've owned nearly every other brand of Japanese car and this one has been the most reliable and fun to drive.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Pull the head and see what you've got. Takes 1-2 hours to pull the head, then you can see what the engine is like.

Worst case scenario it's toast and you need a new engine anyway. Only costs you the 2 hours of work. Best case scenario is a head rebuild, and you're good to go. I'd change the timing belt etc while you are in there if you decide to keep it.

Chay

·
Registered
94 Posts
Wait, a fresh head can be hard on an old bottom end??? In what way exactly??

That just doesn't make sense.

Chay

1 - 5 of 5 Posts