Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going back home from work when this happened. Well I was exiting the freeway and I was going up a ramp when this car slowed down in front of me. I was in 5th gear and I downshifted to 4th gear. So i was going 30 mph now. So the car sped up in front of me so i put it into third gear ( while i was trying to the the double clutch or that rev match thing) and i saw my rpms go up to 6000 then went back to 4000 rpm. Well i got home and i started smelling this burned/fried smell kind of thing after i parked it. Do you guys think i damage anything. I checked the car again and started it and everything was fine. Theres still a little bit of that smell but its going away. Can someone explain what that smell is ( burned clutch, fried engine). I'm hella worried.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
You probably just burned youre clutch going into third, not a big deal. You'll come to recognize that smell eventually. Engines dont make bad smells when something goes wrong, they just break, so whatever it was that you were trying to do that burned you're clutch, dont.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Jock, chances are you just fried up some fresh clutch. No biggie. However, if it's an oily sort of smell, could be something simple like a valve cover gasket dripping a little oil onto your exhaust manifold.Oh, wait, speaking of oil and exhaust manifolds.... It seems that EVERY DAMN TIME I get my oil changed, the grease monkey manages to spill oil all over something (I think the oil filter is just akward). Anyway, for about 100 miles after an oil change, I notice the "hot oil smell".

Hope that helps.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
Maybe you were smelling dinner

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
You should change your own oil! Don't trust these grease monkey's. I've heard many horror stories..Forgetting to tighten the drain plug, no oil added, filter extrememly loose..All leading to destroyed engines!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
yea that happened to me and my friend in his 97 corolla chasing seagulls in the mall parking lot once... being a retard and not knowing how to drive standard, i did some nasty peel outs and we were just beating the sh*t outta it chasing those f**kers lol... so anyways we parked it and were gonna go in when i smelled this nasty smell from the front of the car... popped the hood, and there was like a little trail of smoke drifting up from the tranny
oops lol... since then he's burned the sh*t outta the clutch and had it replaced with a ACT

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
roundle on Aug/15/02 said:
Jock, chances are you just fried up some fresh clutch. No biggie. However, if it's an oily sort of smell, could be something simple like a valve cover gasket dripping a little oil onto your exhaust manifold.Oh, wait, speaking of oil and exhaust manifolds.... It seems that EVERY DAMN TIME I get my oil changed, the grease monkey manages to spill oil all over something (I think the oil filter is just akward). Anyway, for about 100 miles after an oil change, I notice the "hot oil smell".

Hope that helps.
Talking about oil dripping on exhaust from oil pan. My old accord went up in flame because oil was dripping on the exhaust pipe, it burned and it shot all the way up. Thats how the fire started but after 2 weeks I got it back on the road but some stuff under the hood inc. the hood was crisp and burnt. If its dripping any kind of oil get it fixed ASAP.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
My cuzion BMW had A oil change at the Shell gas station. After a few days I checked his oil and guess what, they forgot to put the oil. My uncle and my cuzion sued the f**k out of them, they almost had to shut the garage down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts