Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always got the impression that burnouts were left to those with slicks, but the last few times to the track I have noticed afew people doing mini burnouts with street tires.

They wouldn't use the burnout box, but more of do a small launch before they stagged. It kinda makes sense, clean the tires off alittle and get them warmed up and alittle more sticky?

Good practice? yes/no?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
940 Posts
I think its good because it cleans it off of small dust particals that can cause more spin and also makes them a bit hot so they get a better grip, softens them up a tinsy bit, but sheesh, in las vegas these people dont do mini burnouts, they add a whole 'nother cloud to the atmosphear!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I say just spin the tires for a second, then chirp them. Any time a radial tire gets hot, it loses traction. Just go around the box and chirp them a couple times. Thats all you'll need.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
I don't think it's really needed. Just driving on the tires will get them hot. Unless you change your tires at the track, I don't believe they are going to cool off a drastic amount.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
I've noticed a slight increase in grip if I do a burnout (not in the water). It does kind of waste tire though.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
i would say it depends on the track condition.. if it's already warm(or daytime).. you wouldn't need to warm up your tires.. last night at lacr(palmdale) the track was already warm from the hot daytime sun.. i'd say that was near perfect track conditions..

my friends don't do burnouts with their street tires.. but they do on the slicks..(they also break axles
)

i dont do mini burnouts.. but i try to stage up first so.. i take off real fast going up to the christmas tree and stomp on my brakes(not screeching in though).. tires get a nice lil warm up.. and it gets me all psyched up..

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
i smoked my street tires and ran my best time!

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
00TypeR on Sep/06/02 said:
at the track i go to they make you spin your tires. even if you are on street tires.
...that sucks... burnouts with street radials is a bad idea. You loose traction because the rubber beads up and acts like you are rolling on marbles. Any extra grip that you get is probably just in your head. Track condition can change from run to run. Unless you have an LSD, a burnout is only half effective, as you only warm up one tire.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I've heard it's completely unnecessary if you on street tires. The compound isn't the same as drag tires. That was coming from an experienced drag strip driver.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Yeah it makes sense, harder street tires won't have nearly as much embedded dirt as softer slicks, and even if they did, you'd have to burn out for a very long time just to shave off a very thin layer.

And it probably wouldn't make much of a difference cuz a fresh layer won't be all that much stickier on street tires.

So if you do a mini-burn/peel out just to clear surface dirt - instead of the prolonged smokey burnout, that's probably the best and most practical thing for street tires.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Yeah I usually just do a mini burnout in the box past the puddle to get the crap off my tires, especially after offroading at the Carlsbad track around here. I would never do a full on smoking burnout in the puddle on street tires, most likely you'll only make your traction worse.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I heard siping tires is a good way to add traction, but how long does the siping last? I don't think it's a good idea to go to the track every weekend and have to shell out about 50 dollars each time to just get better traction.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts