Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, ive just finished my turbo installation, and then i tried to put my bumper back on... my buddies warned me that i might have to cut my bumper because of the size and placement of the intercooler... so i tried to mount it as close to the radiator as possible... still, my bumper wont connect... has anyone delt with this?... i just converted my 96 to a 98+ bumper... and i'd really hate to ruin it...

·
Registered
8,285 Posts
Yep. I had to cut the plastic grill completely out of my bumper, and plasma cut out the metal bumper bracket. After I measured it of course.

I'll just say that it takes ALOT of measuring, if you're going to cut it.

If you can find a way to reposition it, you might not have to cut either.

Oh, and I have a G2, so it's most likely going to be a bit different.

Now that I think about it, this might be a good place to post this. Another G2 member had the same question, and this is the quite lengthy, but informative, answer I sent to him:

The size is 27" wide x 6.5" tall x 3" thick. I bought a whole generic turbo kit off of ebay, which I wish I hadn't done, but since I had the parts, I used the intercooler, IC piping, and a few other random things. So I have no idea what brand it is... but I haven't had any trouble with it and it has some good welds on it.

As far as mounting it goes, my cousin welded up some little brackets that bolt into the holes on the top of the intercooler. The brackets also connect to two pillars that run up and down right under the headlights. I put a metal plate on the backside of those supports and bolted through the brackets..

Here's a pic..

Here are the brackets he welded up. Just some angle iron...

The hardest part was getting the bumper back on. I had to measure out and cut apart the metal bumper brace to make it fit around the mounting bracket and the top of the IC.

This is the only pic I have of the bumper off (which doesn't really show much) , and another up close with it on...

on... (I got pulled over so I had to put my plate back on. =/ )

Not only that but I had to cut the entire grill out, which took a lot of time to make look good. That plastic is a pain because you have to go slow and cut it by hand with a very sharp knife. Then again you can get a thinner IC too, and probably keep the grill.

If I had to do it again I would get something a little more thin and not as tall (mine was 3" thick and 6.5" tall). The top of the IC went up about 1" into the metal bumper brace and about an 1" down through the plastic in the bumper.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
hmongkie on Oct/02/07 said:
thanks for the link... and yup, im gonna be busy measuring and dremel'n tomorrow...

I tried using a dremel and it sucked ass. It just basically melted the plastic. I ended up cutting mine out (see my sig) with tin snips and a razor blade.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
awww man.. no dremel?? sucks!... when i had to cut the block for room for my turbo housing, i couldnt find my dremel and ended HANDSAWING the thing.. that was a lot of work.. now ive found the dremel and i cant even use it... haha... i love being me...

·
Registered
829 Posts
aznasinine on Oct/02/07 said:
i just used like a utility knife and only cut the parts of the grill i had too...just cut a little fit it...cut a little fit it...and so on i like the look of the grill in front which is why i just didn't cut the whole thing off...
clean teg

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
hmongkie on Oct/02/07 said:
awww man.. no dremel?? sucks!... when i had to cut the block for room for my turbo housing, i couldnt find my dremel and ended HANDSAWING the thing.. that was a lot of work.. now ive found the dremel and i cant even use it... haha... i love being me...
I cut all of my intercooler piping with a hand saw... that sucked.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Yea i used Tile cutting dremel bit, works great.
I was able to get the bumper to fit over my intercooler w/o cutting out grill but I opted to do it anyway.
However on my Da with the 90-91 front I had to do alot more cutting and it was only a 2.25 inch intercooler.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

okay... finished cutting my bumper AND my finger... i guess i can kiss the sleeper look goodbye... and yes, i know, im totally not feeling the clear signals, but they were way cheaper than factory ambers...

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Looks good, but I totally agree with you on hating the clear corners. I also think it would have looked a lot better with black silicone couplers.

PS: This thread reminded me of my first turbo testdrive at about 2:30 in the morning right after finishing the turbo install and during the tune. I drove around bumperless. It was great.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah, i drove it around the block really quick... the neighborhood police officer was waiting by the corner... asked me where'd my bumper go... i told him it melted.... he told me to go home and put it on...

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
hmongkie on Oct/03/07 said:
yeah, i drove it around the block really quick... the neighborhood police officer was waiting by the corner... asked me where'd my bumper go... i told him it melted.... he told me to go home and put it on...
lol i would have told him something diffrent... but thats just me.

i keep this on my pass seat. cops tend to not harass me as much as they used to.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.