Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car 1994 Integra LS
I had a C&R Racing Radiator put in. Shortly afterwards, I noticed that my upper (the short one) hose was bulging near the engine block. (This may have been happening before, but I may have not noticed it. MAYBE-but I doubt it)

Anyways, a week or two later, I had both the hoses replaced. It was okay for a while, but now it's happening again. The upper radiator hose is bulging near the engine block.

Could this be due to the lack of bleeding the system after the installs (both the radiator & the hoses)?

If so, how do I bleed the coolant system? I've heard the bolt/screw/whatever is on the radiator, and I've also heard that I should follow one of my hoses to the engine to find it.

Anything would help, I paid for labor and parts the time I had my radiator put in, then AGAIN when I had my hoses replaced because they needed to drain the whole system to get the hoses off.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Dude....this is exactly what happened to me...I had a hole in my radiator, got a brand new one...bulging hose, replaced it, still bulged.....new cap, new thermo, still bulged, then when the pressure got up to alot, my car would bog.....then I started blowing LARGE amounts of white smoke out my tail.....a week later I was up to my arms in my engine block putting a new head gasket on...now runs perfect! Good luck! Run compression test!!!
Lata

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you were going through this problem, which hopefully I am not, cause I know a head gasket is gonna be expensive... did your temperature ever go higher than usual? Because mine has never even reached half way... it's actually always around 1/4 of the way from cold.

I don't know of a shop that does compression tests... and I don't trust myself to do it myself.

·
Registered
199 Posts
comp. tests are pretty easy to do. do you have and mechanically inclined friends/relitives that can help? Did they put a high pressure rad. cap on?
The bleeder is on the block near where the hose is. It is silver, threaded into block, the end is hollow, faces the front of car, looks like brake bleeder only bigger.

Edit: Look what I found...an article by surferx. Amazing what you can find in 30 sec. when you look.
Article

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Ya man, the whole time the temp would jump up....it went into red like 3 times I was freaking!!!! I was worrying that my head would be warped.....it did cost alot to get the head gasket, and I DID IT, the shop would charged at least $1000 for what I did (self polish up ports, 2 layer gasket, water pump, timing belt)....but you can get a cheap compression tester anywhere and it is easy! And skrewloose37, give the guy a break.....not everyone is aquanted with this site as alot of us.
Give me a PM if you have any more quesitons about your situation!
Nick

·
Registered
199 Posts
Sorry, didn't realize I was being mean. Just tryin to point him in the right direction. Now that I read it again I can see how it could have come across that way.
Sorry, no hard feelings?

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No reason to apologize. I come to this site for help, like students goto professors for help. I'm gonna try to bleed the system myself tomorrow morning. Do you have any precautions or precedures I should follow? For example, should I have the radiator cap open... or make sure I have some extra coolant ready... this is my first time doing this.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
You can burp the system by just keeping the cap open, when it is completely cool!!!!!!!! Turn it on, open your heater valve, liek you were going to turn on your heater on full force, let it run for about 3 minutes, then top off your radiator, and makes sure your over flow has some coolant in there too......Compression test is alot more vital then the burping of the system though, with the problems you are describing!

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This may sound stupid... but you say "like you were going to turn on your heater on full force..." so does that mean that I actually have to open this "heater valve?" or can I substitute this by turning the heater on full blast?

Anyone in MA? I wish there was a strong Integra community here to meet up and chat and whatnot.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok...

1) Took the cap of the radiator
2) Loosened the bleeder bolt(located where the upper hose attaches to the engine block)
3) bled it until a steady stream of coolant was flowing
4) tightened bleeder bolt; tightened the radiator cap to one click
5) turned the engine on and let it warm up (with the heat on full blast) until the fan came on at least twice

I think I followed the directions correctly from the helms manual.

First thing is that the hose bulged throughout the warm-up process. (is this hose pretty much gone? do I need a new one AGAIN?)

Next thing is that after this "bleeding process," I've driven the car, and every time I stopped at some place that I could open the hood, I did, and the damn thing is still bulging.

What can I do now? Try this process over with a new hose?

What else can be causing this pressure build-up on that upper hose (it bulges from where this hose attaches to about 3-4 inches out)

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How hard was it for you to do your head gasket by yourself. I've already had my waterpump and belts done, will I have to touch these when I change my gasket?

I have the helms, so that's always a plus. But I'm just wondering how difficult you thought it was. And what I need to becareful about.

Also, what gasket did you go with? I want to go turbo later, so is this a good time to put in a thicker head gasket?

one more thing, you said your temperature gauge went crazy right? I haven't had that yet... I'm gonna go buy a compression tester first... I'm hoping it's not my head gasket... my mechanic told me like 7-8 large... sounds pretty damn expensive...

·
Registered
231 Posts
Bringing back from the dead. Is there any resolution to this? My radiator hose is blowing and I dont want my Head gasket to blow....

Any help please?

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
jls6169 on Aug/11/06 said:
Bringing back from the dead. Is there any resolution to this? My radiator hose is blowing and I dont want my Head gasket to blow....

Any help please?
My problem ended up being the radiator cap that came with the C&R radiator. It was a 30PSI cap. once I went to the stock one (16psi I think), it never bulged again.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
bleed the cooling system.

when the car is completely cold:

--open up the radiator cap
--put your heater knob all the way to hot
--turn the car on with the cap off
--continue topping off the radiator until the fans turn on and the temp gauge goes to normal operating temp.

i've done it this way tons of times on different cars. when you have the cap open, some coolant might come out and spill all over the place, dont worry about it. wait until you see no more bubbling inside the radiator, the fan comes on, and the temp gauge is where it should be.

head gaskets dont cost much, maybe around $60, but its the labor that kills.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Thanks for your help guys. I just changed the hose and the radiator cap, so far no bulging or swollen hoses.

Just a quick question though.

Its been running for quite sometime now without the cap and the fans still haven't kicked in, thermostat still shows below med level.
How long does it usually take?? Been about 20 mins or so..

Thankd

1 - 19 of 19 Posts