Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK i did a search and it answered most my questions, but it did however raise some new ones. so if you'll please bear with me on this one I would really appreciate any and all help becasue i'm seriously considering doing this.

First off I know, manual is better than auto and that auto is pointless for performance, with that said please dont tell me to sell my auto and buy a stick or to just swap in a stick becasue thats not gonna happen, I already have another car and thats a stick and thats my performance car.

With that said, here is what I want to do. I have an old 91 integra rs auto lying around in my front yard. I blew the tranny along time ago and I had plans to rebuild and drop in a 5 spd tranny and do all kinds of crazy stuff, than I got a new car, and forgot all about my poor little tegy in the front yard. So I already ripped all the guts out of the teg (the engine and tranny)and was getting ready to swap everything in than plans changed and i spent most my money on my new car. I did however take the time to buy a 00 gsr head with only 11,000 miles on it with the intetntions of building an engine for my teg.

so i have this head and thats it. i need a block ecu and tranny still, i was gonna go FI but than i changed my mind, inwas gonna go stick but i already have one. So i want this. A gsr engine with a auto tranny, and seeing how its going to be auto i'll build the block to support a 100 shot of nitrous (granted i'll have to do some tranny work too i'm assumeing.)

This is my plan of action, I have 2 ideas.
Plan A, Put the gsr head on the ls block which is already hooked up for an autotranny, than get either the jdm sir-g ecu to control the whole thing (which might not work with the tranny though) or possably find a way to obtain an ecu thats already programmed for auto and vtec (civic ex) and program that to meet the needs of a ls/vtec conversion. problem with this idea is that i dont want to drill lines into the ls block to meet the oil needs of the vtec head, i dont want to run into any leakage problems, this car is going to become my daily driver so i want to keep it clean and reliable.

plan b
buy a gsr block to match up with my gsr head and have an actual gsr engine (no oil leakage) and than find a whay to bolt on an auto trany, problem here is that i'm almost sure that no auto trany will bolt up to the flywheel and i'll have even more problems. Than i was thinking of trying and getting a jdm auto tranny but than that might not match up with the usdm block so than i'd have to get the jdm block. than i would need the jdm ecu and whos knows what else.

i personally think that plan A would be the easiest course of action but would it work and would it be fairly relaible, my main point of concern is that i read that ls/vtec has oil leaking problems and other stuff, but if there are way sto get around this than plan A seems like th eway to go. would the civic ex ecu work how about the sir-g ecu or would i need a stand alone system. I know i'm going to be spending some money to make this work but i dont mind i'll be doing this over the course of a year. Thanks for bearing with me i tried to get straight to the point and be as clear and specific as i could be as to not get locked or flammed.

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
This is what I know:
Civic EX ECU won't work, I mean our engines have an extra cam among many different things.
JDM tranny should work fine on USDM block. I've heard of JDM ITR tranny used on a GS-R before.
LS/VTEC will work if done properly, the oil leaking thing is not to worry about if you do it right. The R/S ratio is what concerns most people, but then that's another deal.

So you want to take the 91 auto tranny and use that? Isn't it blown?

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
if you're playing the odds, the chances of finding a japanese auto vtec ecu or tranny are pretty low but you never know.

I wouldn't depend on those options. that pretty much kills plan b: the idea of building a gsr engine (b18c1) and hooking it up to a japanese auto vtec ecu IMHO.

for plan a: you'll have to ask the hondata people if they do auto ecu reprogramming on obd1 auto ecus before you proceed. if they can't then you basically just go ahead and use the 00 gsr head to make an LS VTEC out of your auto.

that's probably the cheapest way to go anyway out of the 2 choices.

until you change the auto to a performance one, it's not going to matter one way or the other in terms of performance.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
hpracing007 on Feb/26/04 said:
This is what I know:
Civic EX ECU won't work, I mean our engines have an extra cam among many different things.

JDM tranny should work fine on USDM block. I've heard of JDM ITR tranny used on a GS-R before.

LS/VTEC will work if done properly, the oil leaking thing is not to worry about if you do it right. The R/S ratio is what concerns most people, but then that's another deal.
DOHC VTEC motors can use a SOHC VTEC ECU. This is what a P28 ECU is for the Hondata upgrade in GSR's and ITR's wanting to use their OBD1 based system. The fact that it has a single cam isn't the issue.

if he can find a jdm sirg auto tranny & ecu then his problems are solved and it's a no brainer.

LS VTECs leak. sorry eventually, they leak (good jobs mean they don't leak in the first year). ask Steve Rothenbuehler (omnimman here ): the guy who invented them.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey thanks alot for the help guys i really appreciate you guys taking this as serious as it is. How do i go about contacting hondata to ask them about reprogramming the ecu? Would the jdm sir-g ecu and tranny be hard to find in japan? My sister in law lives there now and i can ask her to see if she can find anything plus i should be going to japan this summer so i can look myself. Here's a stupid question but i'm going to ask it anyway, will if everything works out, my car still technically pass smog, seeing how its still the same tranny that came with the car, casue i know that if you do a conversion from auto to stick it will never pass unless you know a place.

so right now it looks like the best thing to solve the problem is go with plan B which is to complete building my GSR engine with the head i already have and try my best to find the sir-g jdm ecu and tranny, which should fit on the GSR block no problems. thanks again for the help guys.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
enter hondata.com in your browser window...

I don't think anyone here on this side of the pond can answer whether it's easy to find one in Japan...did you really expect someone to answer that one correctly?

if you fuel tune the engine by reprogramming the ecu or use a piggyback and fresh plugs and ignition advance and use a cat warmed up, it should pass the emissions part. whether they allow lsvtecs in CA regulations, I have no idea.

I'd just put that head on your current teg and tranny and drive it. you'll be much happier and richer.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
If you didn't know, the sir-g and the ls have the exact same tranny. The sir-g ecu will be a pain in the ass to come by, but places like passwordjdm.com see them a little more often than you will. If I was you, I'd recommend buying the b18c1(USDM), install the head you have, find an sir-g ecu, and an LS auto tranny. If you are pretty handy with a wrench and have access to flow charts, you could widen the valve bodies in the tranny and replace everything w/new OEM parts or the PTS kit from Levelten.com. I thought about doing this, but decided that it will never be within my budget, and it will get in the way of me buying an ITR.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
MichaelDelaney on Feb/26/04 said:
I'd just put that head on your current teg and tranny and drive it. you'll be much happier and richer.

Quote: JayDawg1039 on Feb/26/04 I blew the tranny along time ago and I had plans to rebuild and drop in a 5 spd tranny and do all kinds of crazy stuff, than I got a new car, and forgot all about my poor little tegy in the front yard. So I already ripped all the guts out of the teg (the engine and tranny)and was getting ready to swap everything in than plans changed and i spent most my money on my new car.

·
Registered
594 Posts
MichaelDelaney on Feb/26/04 said:
Quote: GS-Racer on Feb/26/04 Bear in mind that the GS-R cams are intended for a manual tranny and not an auto. There is a big difference.
they use those cams in the jdm sirg (Japanese GSR) auto.
Automatic JDM SiRs use less aggressive cams than the manuals. Peak power is @7200rpm compared instead of 7600.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok, now another question arises, could i for the mean time just purchase another ls auto tranny (seeing how mine is blown) put that on my car and than just bolt on the gsr head and will it run fine? or will i need a differnt ecu? I know vtec wont engage unless i get another ecu or piggyback system right, but will the car still run? this would be for the mean time untill i can find all the parts i need. where there alot of sir-g built in japan or where there just a few and is that why those parts are so hard to come by?

still though it seems like the best thing to do is get the sir-g tranny and ecu and bolt those on to the usdm gsr engine, and this will work right? thats my main concern, this way i stay away from ls/vtec and just have a reliable gsr engine with no oil leak problems from drilled lines and what ever.

oh and here's a good question, how will i know i got the real sir-g tranny and ecu? is there a specific code or model number or something that i can identify to make sure i'm not getting ripped off? are there certain things i need to look for?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hakamoto on Feb/26/04 said:
Quote: MrNiceGuy on Feb/26/04
Automatic JDM SiRs use less aggressive cams than the manuals. Peak power is @7200rpm compared instead of 7600.

I have heard this several times, do you have any links to verify this?
I was told so by Wong KN the editor of TOVA. I think he would know.

on this link you can see that the auto engine makes [email protected] instead of [email protected]

·
Registered
594 Posts
Louse76 on Feb/26/04 said:
Quote: Hakamoto on Feb/26/04
And yes your ecu will make the car run, but I wouldn't advise it.

Define run.

As far as the ECU goes, why not just get a VAFC to control the VTEC engagement? You can find them just over $200.
VAFC gets input from your ECU to control VTEC engagement. If there's not such an input (non-VTEC ECU) then how will it work?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.