Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got money from graduation and its time to start putting togther my turbo kit i have a 2000 Ls with great compression i did my research and ive picked out a gt28rs turbo that i want for my type of driving so what im asking is for help to pick out the rest of my kit like the manifold down pipe and so on. and also planed to get tuned by jeff evans on neptune

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
are u building internals or stock? if ur running a stock block i would say u dont need a jeff evans tune. it'd be more worth it if u were runnin bigger numbers. thats my opinion tho

edit: i use to live in MD, i moved a month ago. get it tuned by Sal.

edit again: neptune from jeff evans is $600. Sal charges half of that

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
ive been doing a lot of research on this turbo as it is a huge part of the VW scene (from where i hail originally). im not quite sure what manifold to pair it up with but let me know. if you need any other help/info on the turbo itself let me know

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Ok. Here's what you can do about the GT28RS. Nice choice, BTW this will depend upon whether you got the T2 flange (used on the HKS and Greddy Kits) or if you got the turbine housing changed to a T3 flange, in which you have a million of options.

1) depending opin the purpose, there's no real need to get an equal length "ramhorn" manifold. Everyone thinks that they are a "better" product, but from your use I can see that it's not necessary. The HKS or Greddy manifold flanged can work just fine and are very afforable.

2) You'll also need engine management (Plenty of discussion here about those) fuel injectors, and a downpipe that uses the 5 bolt T25 flanging system. This will need to be custom made or check with spoolin' performance as well.

3) You'll need the water line kit, because this is a ball-bearing turbo. this includes the .035" oil feed fitting (use a -3AN line for the oil) and the 2 Banjo fittings needed to run the water lines, you can use barb fittings for rubber lines or 1/4NPT for SS. You'll also need the oil return gasket and flange. THESE ARE A REQUIREMENT TO RUN THIS TURBO....

·
Registered
9,908 Posts
I say get it flanged with a t3, because the HKS/greddy manifolds are getting harder and harder to find.

I like the stealth look of the internally gated setups, especially since you can use a heat shield, but you have a million options with the t3 setup compared to like 2 with the t25 flange.

Everything else is pretty straight forward, the downpipe you will have to get custom made.

Make a list, and narrow down your choices to those you want, depending on if you need/want AC PS and so forth

Manifold
Intercooler
Piping
BOV
Line kit oil/water
WG (tial, spring?)
EMS (Neptune, hondata s300 AEM EMS, E-manage)
custom downpipie (cat/no cat?)
Exhaust (thermal/kteller or custom)
Injectors (depending on power gaols.)
Fuel pump
Gauges (fuel press/oil press/egt/wb
Boost controller (EBC vs. MBC)

It should be a very simple setup, can't go wrong with simple.

Tune that thing for 8-10 psi and it should be a midrange monster on the streets.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote: LaPlataTeg on Jul/03/06 are u building internals or stock? if ur running a stock block i would say u dont need a jeff evans tune. it'd be more worth it if u were runnin bigger numbers. thats my opinion tho

edit: i use to live in MD, i moved a month ago. get it tuned by Sal.

edit again: neptune from jeff evans is $600. Sal charges half of that
[/Qnever heard of sal were is he located at and i live in pa now i start uti in 15 days and i want my car runninfg the best it can i do also plan to stay with the stock block for as long as it holds up

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
as far as the manifold thanks for the ideas but what would you say is my best bet ? i think i wanna run a external wastegate so i should go for what ? this is my first turbo set up so thanks for all the help with my questions

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
00lsvtec on Jul/03/06 said:
as far as the manifold thanks for the ideas but what would you say is my best bet ? i think i wanna run a external wastegate so i should go for what ? this is my first turbo set up so thanks for all the help with my questions

Try to get the t3 flange version with no wastegate, and get a log manifold with the t3 flange and 38mm wastegate elbow and flange. I suggest SpoolinPerformance. He can make you a downpipe to go with it too.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
HJLau75 on Aug/28/06 said:
I was wondering what this turbo is capable of making at it's limit?

Depending upon how the rest of the system helps and allows the Disco Potato breathe it should max out just over 350hp. This is of course with the .82a/r housing.

What A/R do you plan to run the .82 or .63?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
loud_whispers on Mar/17/07 said:
This turbo can max out at around 450whp.. btw i may be selling mine very soon.. =)
thats news to me... i've heard of people pushing it close to 400 but there's many diminishing returns at that point. lot of heat in exchange for little power gains.

·
Registered
527 Posts
aalb1 on Mar/17/07 said:
Quote: loud_whispers on Mar/17/07This turbo can max out at around 450whp.. btw i may be selling mine very soon.. =)

thats news to me... i've heard of people pushing it close to 400 but there's many diminishing returns at that point. lot of heat in exchange for little power gains.

He didnt ask what the exchanges in heat were.. He asked what the limits were.

Would I personally try and push and RS this far? Probably Not.

Would I push an RS to this kind of limit for fun to see how much balls it has? Probably..

It is an unmatched turbo in it's category.
http://forums.evans-tuning.com/viewtopic.php?t=1349&highlight=gt28rs

gt28rs is the best little turbo on the market.. hands down.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
haha this is my old thread ive learned so much more since then but if you auto x or road race its the turbo to get the best spool around and unless you get the bigger exhaust housing you can get more out of it but most people are making around 320 hp

1 - 19 of 19 Posts