Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am tossing around ideas of my next project and what to do to my engine and so forth and had this thought. Would it be cheaper to build a gsr engine from scratch?? I see full engine swaps(gsr) going for 3,000 and I think i could beat that by putting one togther.

I bought a gsr complete head in good condition for 450. I see blocks selling for around 500 and either a si or gsr tranny for around 600(thats roughly 1,500)

My question is: I have a 94b18b right now and plan to swap some of the parts from that engine onto the gsr engine but which parts won't fit both engines? Like oil pump, starter etc...Is there someplace I could find this info(other then the dealer?)

Has anybody ever thought of this idea? Has it been done before? and what kind of problems might arise while doing this?

BTW i plan to swap out all the internals and build the head and bottom end.
If anybody has any input that would be cool...thanks

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Assuming all the sensors are functioning, you'll need gaskets, timing belt, and/or waterpump. If there's rust on the cylinder walls, you need to get them honed. The block will need to be cleaned, as you don't want crud blocking a port in the head.

The oil pump can be two sizes: 80mm or 82mm, I believe. There's no way to know, besides measuring. Starter, axles, ac, and alternator are all the same.

You'd need a clutch, pressure plate, and possibly flywheel. Manifold, distributor, valve cover included in your "complete head" purchase? ECM?

IMO, I don't have enough clear information to make a decision. If you're not doing this work yourself, you're going to get screwed on labor. If this is the case, I'd advise getting a swappable motor and saving labor and headaches. This would also allow you to sell your motor complete, rather than having to part it out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts