Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I've been at this for a full week so I finally decided to make a post. 97 GSR, major bucking issues while under load, can not make it past 4k with a fully depressed pedal. This issue has been going on for months (come and go from college so not a bunch of time to fix 🤷‍♂️), but it finally got to the point of undrivable outside of town.
Everything I've replaced in order:

Upstream O2 + downstream

-Running a catless yonaka so I figured the oem upstream from 97 had finally died, replaced with a denso of correct fitment, no changes. Also replaced the downstream because I had a new one lying around, so that's just one more thing off the list.

Fuel pump **
-When I replaced, the car ran perfect for about an hour and a half, then went right back to bucking as I was pulling back onto my street. It should be noted that this car has known fuel issues (For some odd reason it acts like the tank is empty at half tank, still fills 5-6 gallons so it isn't reading wrong, but that's an issue for another day)
I put asterisks on this one because this might be a clue considering it made her run fine for a while?

PCV valve

-This one was the most odd to me, the previous owner has definitely done some wacky things to this car, IE the old valve had no grommet?? The interesting thing is that despite having an oem fit new valve, I could not get it in with the grommet, barely by itself as it was. No room for that grommet, still confused by that, learn something new about this engine every time I work on it.

Spark plugs + Wires
Replaced both with respective ngks, BIG NOTE when I took out the plugs I noticed sludge on the pistons and the plugs were pale white tipped. I have an a/f gauge that I've yet to install but it would probably be in best interest to check that, no?

Aside from those replacements I've checked the voltage to the tps, it was perfect, and took out the distributor to see if the rotor + points of spark contact were fine, they were. I have replaced both the ignition coil and fuel filter around 1k miles ago as well. My only guess now is a vacuum leak somewhere (probably the pcv valve? But I don't think it'd cause such violent bucking so I don't know???)

I also decided to see what would happen if I brought the revs in neutral to around 3-4k while sitting and I noticed slight misfires, the revs did dip 150-200 for each one but it was spaced out (7 every 20~ seconds)

If anyone has thoughts please, I just want to drive my baby again

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fuel filter? Did you use any rubber hose in the tank that may have split soon after you replaced the pump?
I replaced the fuel filter around 3k(?) miles ago. Can't remember exact but it was for a misfiring problem, ended up being injectors but that's beside the point. As for the rubber hose do you mean the one that connects the pump to the top end of the unit? I'll pull the pump today and check if that one split regardless.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update: checked hose, no rips. I am definitely in limp mode right now, revs won't go past 4.4k in neutral. Checked my TPS and MAP sensor, what else should I be looking for?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you're in limp mode, why haven't you checked for any stored codes, as I don't see any mention of that anywhere above?
No codes, no cel or stored. Last time it shot a code at me was p1399 about a week ago, cleaned injectors and cleared it to see if it would come back, it did not

·
Registered
172 Posts
I think another helpful bit of information would be what ECU you are running. Because a 97 is obd2a. And you could easily check fuel trims to see if you are lean. Or if there is a fuel issue. Or a vacuum leak or whatever.

But if you are cat-less, it should throw P0420 all day. Unless you are obd1.

So what ECU do you have ? Open it up and take pictures.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think another helpful bit of information would be what ECU you are running. Because a 97 is obd2a. And you could easily check fuel trims to see if you are lean. Or if there is a fuel issue. Or a vacuum leak or whatever.

But if you are cat-less, it should throw P0420 all day. Unless you are obd1.

So what ECU do you have ? Open it up and take pictures.
Should still be the stock 97 gsr which I believe is the p72(?), unless the previous owners changed it. Not home at the moment but will check again when I get back

1 - 8 of 8 Posts