Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my belt broke and i was wondering what the chances are that my valves are bent? they are going to put the belt on and check it but will they know? how do i know i will not have more problems. it broke as i was getting off the interstate on the exit, i tried to restart it 5 times.

·
Registered
8,285 Posts
stephanie on Oct/11/07 said:
it broke as i was getting off the interstate on the exit, i tried to restart it 5 times.

That's bad news right there. I'd say you have a very, very good chance of having a bent valve. What rpm was the engine at right before it died on you? I'm guessing it would've been low if you were getting off the freeway.

5 cranks, ouch.

I guess they can put it on and try to start it up. If it runs fine, you got lucky. Otherwise they'll have to rebuild the head, install new valves, or maybe even do more than that.

You shouldn't have anymore problems driving it once they replace the belt, BUT, that's only if none of the valves were bent.

All you can do is pray.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i was almost at a stop when the belt broke, so the rpm's were low. the shop is charging me 900 as it is to fix it. after that i am broke. so if anything else needs to be done, i am screwed.

·
Registered
8,285 Posts
$900 to fix just the belt??? I'm not totally sure, but that sounds a little bit high... Maybe someone else could chime in about that.

Were they going to replace anything else or just the timing belt?

Is there any way that insurance might cover it? If you have full coverage, you should be able to just pay the deductable and have it repaired, right?

·
Registered
351 Posts
900 bucks for a belt change?

wtf...you can easily do this yourself as alot of us have.

still...900 dollars...that makes me cringe...900 sounds more like 100/hr for the labour to remove/install and rebuild head and then i dont even know....ask them exactly what they are doing and what they are ordering

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have a feeling the car is already at the shop...

but yeah have them do a comp test before anything else...and please find out wtf costs 900 dollars hahaha

·
Registered
6,120 Posts
If anything that $900 is about right, Labor charges are getting insane! They wont just do the timing belt, they usally get you for water pump and oil pump. They will do a compression check (and/or) take off the head and make sure there was no piston to valve contact.

Get all information from the shop thats possible on what they are planning on doing. Id say slap a new belt on there and compression check. That will tell you how healthy your motor is.

Your lucky it happened after you got of the highway!

·
Registered
917 Posts
Thats tough, and 900 is very steep even for a shop, at honda we charge much less than that for parts and labor on a t belt, its like 2.3 hrs if i recall correctly.

you will know if the valves are bent right away, and as suggested check compression, thats the dead giveaway. for what they are charging you have them check if for you (free)!!!!

to bad you dont live in WI i do belts usually for 80. '(

as for purchaising another head vs replacing yours. You are taking a gamble on someone else parts and with motors and what not that can end up costing you in many cases, id rebuild yours then you know you have the right stuff and a rebuilt head. peace of mind and reliability.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Out of that $900 for the belt change, $860 is in labor.

How many miles did you have on your teg? If it's passed the due "maintainance" mark then it was just a ticking time bomb. Mine has 86k going on 87k and i'm doing it myself next Saturday.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
when the dealership checked my teg a few months ago, they said the belt looked new.

the work they are performing, is a water pump, some oil leak i had, and the belt.

i just moved to the area, and didnt know where to take my car. and i knew i had to do something fast because i am in a rental car.

they have had my car about 24 hours now, a little more actually.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You cannot rely on the appearance of a timing belt. Any reputable shop will tell you this. I can't believe they just looked at it.

The reason is that a timing belt is reinforced inside with strands of Kevlar (?? I think, forget the material). These can be broken and it won't show on the outside. You have to follow the replacement interval religiously.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.