17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Im looking at the following for the first upgrades

AEM CAI.
Apexi International N1 series exhaust
DC Sports Header - (4-1 Ceramic)
Still looking for a CAT any ideas?

I heard that the Ceramic headers have been known to crack.. is that a common thing or hit or miss type thing?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
If you do go w/ a header first, I suggest a the 4-2-1 design before a 4-1, 4-2-1 headers have better low end numbers on a N/A teg.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
as me and tony said in the chat the other night ceramic headers are known to crack after a while and i suggest polished... as soulchild stated a car-sound cat will fit your needs... the aem CAI will be fine and it's an easy install... and at last the apexi N1 exhaust is a good throaty exhaust that sounds good driving around and it has a good pitch when at wide open throttle, this will be a good match with DC sport headers and a car-sound cat... good luck with your project and i hope my info has helped out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, i wasnt sure if that was the same as you were talking about or not on the headers. as far as low end .. most of the driveing is 4k rpm and up so wouldnt 4-1 be the more suitable for that type of driving?

·
Super Moderator
14,177 Posts
FlyinHighImport on Aug/24/02 said:
as me and tony said in the chat the other night ceramic headers are known to crack after a while and i suggest polished...
thats me, I dont have any personaly experiance, but I've read of numerous people here having that problem.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
DC's tend to crack at the welds. Mainly because the weld quality isn't very good combined with using cheap mild steel with their ceramic headers. I would stay with stainless on any DC header.

on a GS-R the 4-1 design will put your power up higher. Many people with B18C's praise of tremendous gains after 5700 with 4-1 headers however the butt dyno can be decieving. on my car what happened was that anywhere below 5700 RPM the 4-1 made less power than stock. once VTEC engaged at 5700 I felt this huge blast of power. You can see why from my dyno chart as the torque jumps about 15-20 ft-lbs in an instant. I thought it was so much faster than stock. But what I found out looking at many other stock Type R dynos was that with stock I was making better midrange, so VTEC didn't feel like such a huge blast because my midrange was already doing pretty well and VTEC just continued the torque curve like it was made to do.

Just thought I would share that experience of mine. My personal opinion that if you want high end power on a B18C the regular 2.0" DC 4-1 is just not big enough and I'd go with the DC JDM 2.5" version 4-1 along with your cat and exhaust. Good luck on your header decision

1 - 7 of 7 Posts