Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Im pretty sure I was reading a few months back about someone buying a brand new Type R motor from a dealership, Its gotta to big $$$$ though.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
It's gonna cost you an arm and a leg from Honda, actually I think they want both arms and legs and your house. J/K. For that amount of money, you could buy a used motor, have it hot-tanked, and rebuild it. It'll be almost like new.

·
Registered
470 Posts
i know a gsr shortblock alone...shortblock, no head or anything was 3800. and that was a gsr, surely the type r is more.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
yeah: it's called a rebuild. you take your motor to the machine shop. they bore the cylinder sleeves out, hone the sleeves, and put in new pistons, rings, rods, bearings, and blueprint the clearances and balance the crank. It's then as good as an engine with 0 miles. You don't need to go out and buy a brand new motor unless you holed the block (eg. threw a rod).

Spoon no longer sells crate motors.

There's several companies who sell crate motors. Jun, DART, G-Sport (Mr Gasket), RS Machines, AEBS, etc.

search under the word "crate".

·
Registered
470 Posts
MichaelDelaney on Feb/26/04 said:
yeah: it's called a rebuild. you take your motor to the machine shop. they bore the cylinder sleeves out, hone the sleeves, and put in new pistons, rings, rods, bearings, and blueprint the clearances and balance the crank. It's then as good as an engine with 0 miles. You don't need to go out and buy a brand new motor unless you holed the block (eg. threw a rod).

Spoon no longer sells crate motors.

There's several companies who sell crate motors. Jun, DART, G-Sport (Mr Gasket), RS Machines, AEBS, etc.

search under the word "crate".
not to mention it is built a HELL of a lot stronger and built to your specs...fi or na. In all honesty if you are going to spend the money for a BRAND NEW motor, there isnt a company around who would charge more for a complete motor build.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Just a little FYI, when I called Honda they quoted me $1,200 for a head and like $1,700 for a block and that was for an LS. So yeah, I would either rebuild or buy an imported motor with 30,000 mi. on it. As far as transmissions, those are pretty expaensive too if you buy one new. If you live in So.Cal Ill talk to my cousin and maybe he could get you what you want. He works on all Hondas and has the tools and has very god prices on motor parts.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
the only place you can get a brand new (not stolen) tranny is at the dealership. kaaz, prodrive, ats, and jun sell aftermarket gears with different gear ratios for the b18c...don't know if they've come out with a dc5 one yet but given the amount of development touring car racing in Japan, I don't see why you won't be seeing a bunch of aftermarket tranny gears for the dc5 soon. as for the b18b tranny, I think you're pretty much stuck there.

I'd be interested to know whether you gen 2 guys have been able to tap into the old N1 tranny market from the late 80's in terms of shorter gear ratios from the racing trannies back then.

there was an aftermarket tranny thread last week and we should probably join in there for this discussion or else it'll hijack this thread.

cheers

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok last question..how much is it to FULLY clean out a motor? Like diassemble the engine and fully clean the block, head, etc?

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
you mean just remove, disassemble including taking out the pistons & rods and crank , hot tank, reassemble, re-install back into your car without any honing work and ring changes done on the motor?

you still have to replace the head and block and crank seals and gaskets including IM, header, oil pan, and head gaskets.

optionally you can have valves, valve guides,retainers, LMA, keepers, springs, and valve seats changed.

you'll still need bearings, new main caps bolts, new rod bolts. spec the rod stretch and clearances (piston to valve, piston to head, piston to wall, deck, etc.).

optional is a new timing belt. if you already replaced @ 60k miles you won't have to but I would anyway.

around $800-900 US labour & parts (not including the cost of the optional parts).

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
the only cost you save is on the hone-boring work and new rings. to do a proper rebuild you have to at least hone and change the rings to get it to be "like zero miles". if your piston ringlands & skirts aren't chipped or skuffed and worn and still are in good condition you can re-use them.

a proper block rebuild runs around $1300-1500 with new pistons, rings, hone-boring, blueprinting the clearances and balancing the crankshaft-rod-pistons included.

a head rebuild is another $600-700 (including valves, seats, seals, guides, springs) depending on the type of valves & springs...I'm assuming ITR.

much cheaper (= 1/3 the cost ) than a crate motor.

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
As far as trannies go, honda still sells brand new trannys, and i believe they are in the neighborhood of 2500 for an ls. A new Type R transmission can be had for 1600 or so if you have connections though.........

1 - 16 of 16 Posts