Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished doing the front brakes on my 98 RS. one of the slider pins was seized solid and could not be saved. I ended up buying a complete new Caliper from Napa and installed it. I took it for a quick spin and notice the pads are rubbing which caused the rotor to become extremely hot. When I got the new calipers, it came with two compression washers for sealing the brake line to the caliper. I'm going to look tomorrow, but I'm wondering if I have the compression washers mixed up and its not releasing the fluid properly due to not lining up the output hole of the hose properly to the caliper. The other side is working great and its still original, but was also not separated from the lines. Can inproper bleeding cause a problem as well?
Tx
Tim

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Improper blead brakes feel squishy (opposite of firm). Air in a hydrualic system prevents proper pressure from building.
If there isn't pressure (improper bleeding) the brakes wouldn't be locked, its the opposite.

If you forgot one of those washers, the fitment wouldn't line up correctly thats for sure, but more likely would cause a leak in the system.

Was the caliper easy to fit into place during installation or did you have to force it?

Can you compress the piston with a set of vise grips or a pipe wrench?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys,
I ended up having to put the old Caliper back on which works great. It was a bad caliper right out of box. It set up fine on the driveway, but after driving it a short distance the new caliper wasn't releasing properly. Pissed me off, all I needed was the bracket with the slider pins. They only sold that bracket as a complete kit with the caliper. Oh well, its working great now.

I want to do the valve clearances next, any tips??? The car has 314,000 on it and is running pretty good, but getting a little noisy. Valve clearance was done at 200,000 from the previous owner.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Get a copy of the helms manual, and follow its directions.

And do it when the motor is cold (ie: sitting over night)

I've been through the same situation with a caliper bracket, pissed me off too :(

·
Registered
917 Posts
Id adjust the valves for sure, 314,000 is a lot, you might concider a standard valve job, or reseating them at lease, do you take care of your motor? tune up regularly?

ALSO, CHANGE THE TOPIC IF YOUR ISSUE IS RESOLVED TO HELP WITH VALVE ADJ OR SOMETHING TO THAT EXTENT YOU WILL GET MORE ADVICE THAT WAY,
but id you just do a search i think you will find all the info your looking for.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.