Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need all of your help with my brakes situation.

1. I either need to re-suface or buy new rotors...
If I've got the "high-priced" big brake rotors it would be cheaper to just re-surface... but if I've got the regular OEM one's, i might as well just buy new one's right?

2. If i decide to go with the "big brake rotors" (which uses the stock calipers) would it be benificial to get the AEM preformance brake pads OR go with the "life-time warrenty" regular pads from Pepboys?

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I have had good luck with my AEM Pads before they last forever. I now have them on my truck and just bought some for the teg

·
Registered
48 Posts
1. I usually just replace mine, rotors aren't really that expensive if you just get oem type. Around here, it's like $10 to turn one, or $25 to just get a new one.
2. i think that if you go with a larger diameter rotor, you will have to replace your calipers. I could be wrong though. I know that they have stock size rotors in cross drilled or slotted styles. As for the aem brake pads, i haven't heard many people talking about them. Maybe run a search on them if you haven't already.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
There are a tons of choices when it comes to choosing new brakes.It may be my opinion, but The AEM is a waste of money for your average person.

Look around, brembo, EBC, powerslot, etc...these companies offer OE sized rotors with better performance.And also, not just the rotors, but pads as well. Hawk pads seem to attract a lot of interest I noticed.

My personal setup is: EBC slotted and dimpled front rotors with "red stuff" pads. in the rear, gonna be brembo drilled rotors with auto zone lifetime pads.I couldn't ask for better performance so far! only thing I am going to upgrade on that is make my own Brake master cylinder brace.

The choice is yours...but it sounds like if I were in your shoes right now, i'd search around a little more.

·
Registered
35,673 Posts
The consensus seems to be that AEM Big Brake kits are more for show.

I've got AEM's brake pads and they seem pretty good.
My thread about their pads

TheRapture -- Summit Racing's warehouse is located about 60 minutes from Chicago, definitely check them out as opposed to ordering from a catalog and waiting for a week.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Furious94LS on Feb/25/04 said:
Please read these 2 articles. Also some searching. You should know this by now.

• Brakes: Brake Pads by [ StyleTEG ]
• Brakes: Rotors [5 Pages] by [ StyleTEG
yep, already did and printed them out last week

I'd go with the AEM for show... but i'm more interested in the long-term $$

If it would cost less in the long run to go with the "AEM big brake rotors" (which do use the stock calipers) and the AEM Pads... if the rotors and pads last 10 times longer then regulars.

Or to just go with the Autozone/Pepboys OEM Rotors and Life-time Pads.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well, it's a GSR, and i'm just going to add regular bolt-on's, intake header exhaust... and anything else i can get my hands on.no F.I. and i'm not going to make it into a 2.0L.

So i'd be better off just going ahead and getting the life-time autozone pads and regular (slotted of course) Autozone rotors.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
AEm pads are made by Nissin. Guess who makes the stock pads and calipers as well as Spoon's brake calipers?

What makes you think its going to last 10x longer or even twice as long? Its how you drive and how often you uuse the brakes.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
i've done research on this as well and found that there's not that much of a diff in performance...unless you have large heavy rims...i use oem pads, which are made by nissin, and rotors...the pads don't dust and the teg stops great...never had any problem or complaints...just don't get any of the cheap pads from the auto parts store...i just to manage one and i know the quality....if you do go to auto parts store...bendix is your best choice...especially the import quiets....but those are about the same as the oem ones...so you might as well get oem

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
sabotage on Feb/25/04 said:
i've done research on this as well and found that there's not that much of a diff in performance...unless you have large heavy rims...i use oem pads, which are made by nissin, and rotors...the pads don't dust and the teg stops great...never had any problem or complaints...just don't get any of the cheap pads from the auto parts store...i just to manage one and i know the quality....if you do go to auto parts store...bendix is your best choice...especially the import quiets....but those are about the same as the oem ones...so you might as well get oem
are there usually lifetime warrenty's on the oem pads?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
no....but you don't need one...the lifetime warranty's the have at the stores....at least my store.....aren't for wear, we used to have that, but we lost too much money....now the lifetime pads are for manufacturer defects, like if they crack or fall apart...you have to read the fine print.....and the oem pads aren't going to crack or fall apart, and they last longer than any store bought ones anyway, so you don't really need a lifetime warranty.....i put my oem pads on in may of 03 and they still look the same thickness as new.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.