Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I spend $150 on a master cyl. I would like some input on the prob I'm haveing with my 95 GS-R. My brakes work fine, but when I'm at a light or any stop for that matter, my brake pedal slowly goes to the floor like Im looseing presure but Im not sure, and of course my car starts to roll. Ive been told its a master cyl. but I dont have one clue about brakes. Any Input would be great.

Thanks
James

·
Registered
496 Posts
Check your brake fluid reservoir and see if it's empty, if it is, probably just needs a bleeding and some fresh fluid =)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I was also told that I have no air in the lines, and the brake fluid is prob a little too full. Could that be the prob?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Yeah, air is bad...real bad!!! Was changing my brake pads, got air in the lines, took it for a spin around the block and man...I couldn't stop at all So air is bad and I wouldn't take advice from whoever told you that...scary! Anyway, bleed your brakes and get some new fluid in there. check the lines for any leaks too. If not, then probably the MC.

·
Registered
4,748 Posts
DM on Mar/04/04 said:
Check your brake fluid reservoir and see if it's empty, if it is, probably just needs a bleeding and some fresh fluid =)
Brake fluid should only get dirty, it shuold NOT lose any fluid out of the master cylinder. The only way fluid levels decreases is by worn brakes (taking more fluid to push worn pads further to make contact puts the fluid in the caliper and lowers the MC level.) If you have no fluid in the MC, then you have a big problem. You have a leak, or something blew. I could be a blown line, or a seal in the MC. And make sure you bleed properly when done with the job. Don't wanna do a half ass job when someone cuts you off on the highway - you'll be teg-less. :p

As for the problem: (as i see it, dont quote me) It sounds like as you use the brakes, you modulate pressure, keeping the pressure high enough as you use the brakes on and off to keeps your pads in contact w/ the rotors. But if a seal in the master cylinder is going, as you keep pressure on the pedal, fluid slowly slips by more and more. Remember, in a MC, there is only a small rubber cup inside a cylinder that is keeping your pedal pressure. As for your little too much fluid, it may be possible that as fluid slid by the broken seal, it got pushed into the resivior instead of keeping it'self in the line your using. Hope it helps, someone correct me if im just talking outta my a--, uh, butt. (havnt talked about brakes in months.)

·
Registered
4,748 Posts
hehe good good, i hate when i "clarify" someone and they get all defensive....if my info was completely wrong, i wouldnt post it, if i was unsure, i would state that. whatever i'm just ranting now i better stop...gotta love the t-i family

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have the same problem. I flushed new fluid/ bleed the lines and it didn't fix the problem. I didn't spot any leaks under the master cylinder and the reservior is always full as well. I'm just going to change out the master cylinder next week. It must be failing slowly over time. I can't risk having the brakes fail.

·
Registered
4,748 Posts
Yeah with the MC, it may not externally leak, but the seal inside that moves and holds pressure when you press on the pedal, will wear or even just give out over time/abuse. Let us know if it fixes the problem!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok CrownRoyal Let me know how that goes. For clarification when Im slowing down and the car is in motion I have positive pressure on the brakes and it slows the car down like noemal. But the pedal only goes to the floor when Im at a complete stop. one thing also that I forgot to mention I also have a vacum leak sometimes when Im stopped as well (dont know if there related?) the car boggs down to like 100 rpm then back to 750 again till I start moving. The vacum leak does not happen everytime the pedal goes to the floor, but when it does happen the pedal is going to the floor. So not sure if related. But for all sake and purposes I will try to bleed the brakes. Also there is no evidence of a leak either.

·
Registered
4,748 Posts
it sounds like maybe a brake booster problem? if i remember right, when you pump the brakes at idle, the idel changes a little bit, right? that means they're sharing something. This might be your problem as well...btw: it's rare that a vacum leak is on and off...it seems like if you have a leaky line, it's not going to re-seal or re-attatch itself as you start moving.

·
Registered
4,748 Posts
hmmmmm....we need someone who has seen this before and seen where the problem is...hmm...ill try and think - it's shower time right now...hahaa

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well thanks for the help so far. if you think of any thing email me or pm me or something let me know.

thanks

1 - 20 of 32 Posts