Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was changing my brakes last night (for the first time) and noticed that my pads didnt come with any metal shims between the calipers and the pads. one of the shims on the original pads had slid towards the center of the wheel into the metal and carved a nice line (not on the braking surface), but the side of the rusted part that protrudes from the rotors. .
Anyways, what is the purpose of these shims. Are they required for normal brake operation? Do you have to buy them separately?

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have this problem too the metal shim slid down into my left front rotor and has cut a groove and I also noticed that my new pads did not come with this piece. Can anyone tell us if that shim is needed, if so, where can the piece be purchased or can the old one be re-used. Thanks.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Just so you know guys you do not need to have the shims there. I asked the mechanics at the dealership and we do not need them. They are to prevent squeeking. Instead you can use anti-squeek on the backs of the pads(if you don't know where to put it then cover the entire back of the brake pad with the stuff) and this will do just fine! I have had 3 integras and no problems...I got rid of the shims because they can and do slip...get rid of them and use the brake lubricant...it works much better!

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
I have a thunk when I accelerate away from a hard braking, or when I break hard, I was hoping the pads were just moving around in the calipers....looks like the wheels are coming off tonight!!

·
Registered
685 Posts
A thunk is not a good thing...check you engine mounts...axles, that kind of thing...that probably won't be your brakes

·
Registered
239 Posts
i had the same problem with mine. after taking it to the dealer (!) for the 45k checkup, they said i needed a whole brake job. they gave me a "fair" price so i said "okay". picked up the car and noticed, right away, a horrible grinding noise. the garage had closed so i decided maybe it was "break-in". it only got worse and happened whether or not the brakes were depressed. i looked at the disc surface and noticed a nice, deep groove being ground into it. i headed back to the dealer, used a few choice words to describe their families, and demanded a solution. turned out it was the shims that had shifted into the rotors. they adjusted, resurfaced and apologized, all at no cost.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
When you change your brake pads, you just re-use the shims. I'm not 100% sure of their exact purpose but I know the Type R for whatever reason has no inside shim and just an outside shim. I think they are mainly for anti-squeek like said before because they are greased up and sit against the pad to prevent any rubbing.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
It could certainly be all of those things, it just started after I put on my new shocks and springs, so first step is to make sure everything is good and tight, and I didnt leave any tools in the engine bay (wouldnt be the first time). The only think that worries me is that the axels and rotors got banged around pretty good during the install especially on that side *first side I tried* so mabyee I knocked something loose or out of alignment... I though brakes cause it would only do it after a hard stop, if I stoped real gradual and then pulled away, I didnt have that noise. hopefully it wont rain and I can get home to my parents and check that out tonight!!!

·
Registered
685 Posts
one more thing to pay attention to when you do your brakes is that the pads are able to slide in the brackets...they should not be tight and not be able to move. They are free floating. If they are hard to get it just take a file and file off a little bit by bit(at the ends)until the pads fit nicely(but snug). You shouldn't have to bang them in. And throw the shims out...and get some anti-squeak lube to put on the back of the pads...my brakes have been quiet(and my other teg also!) for the last 3 years!

·
Registered
919 Posts
The shims are simply there to stop squeeking. You can choose not to use them and that is fine as well. If you get brake pads that don't include shims, just put anti squeek lubricant on the backing to the pads and you will be just fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts