Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i finally got my car engine running well got rid of the CEL, and now im ready for boost. i have pieced together a kit but am wondering if i should buy the edelbrock kit because its smog legal. what do you boosted guys do when it comes emissions time? do you pay someone to pass you? do you un do everything and switch back to stock? that isnt very practical. does that slam it before you go trick really work? thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
well when i tuned my car i took it to emmissions and it passed no problem on 750cc injectors have yet to try it out on my 1600's

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
honestly the hard part is getting it to idle nicely with a lean enough afr so you dont blow out your hc reading.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Since you are OBD2, you'll probably run into more problems. If you slam it, you won't get on the rollers but they may still make you hook up to their OBD2 scanner. I'd imagine that you are going to use something nice to tune with so you'll need to convert to OBD1 and the OBD2 scanner won't read the OBD1 ecu and they may fail you. It's hit or miss and depends how harsh they are around you. Keep your stock parts, if worst comes to worst, you may need to go back to stock when your emissions comes back around.

Jake- I didn't get anything for over 3 years and I was feeling lucky too. I finally got it in the mail and things didn't go well, lol... You shoulda seen the look on the guy's face when the OBD2 scanner failed to connect because I was running an OBD1 ecu. He started hitting his connector thinking something was wrong with it. I think he got frustrated and they ended up failing me and giving me a 5 month extension. Ugh...

·
Registered
276 Posts
Last time i had to do emmisions My car was too low so they just gave me a two year extension. Couldn't you just switch your plates onto a stock teg that will def pass?? anyone try this before?

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
2fst4u on Sep/19/07 said:
Last time i had to do emmisions My car was too low so they just gave me a two year extension. Couldn't you just switch your plates onto a stock teg that will def pass?? anyone try this before?
Won't work cause they have the Vin number. Used to have a guy that got his work done at T&S and he ran a custom T3/T4 set up boosted at 15psi and he passes with flying color. He is OBD2.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so basically my options are a)get an excellent tune and hope i pass or 2)convert back to stock(or close to) when its time for the test and third)try and lie to the emissions people. places other than veip do emissions testing also right?

phatintegra are you talking about T&S in Fredrick? what was your guy using to control his spark and fuel?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Jake1220 on Sep/19/07 said:
Damn, what did you end up doing?
Nothing yet.. I have a JDM B18B right now and don't have a JDM OBD2 ecu for it. It has a couple different sensors than the USDM engine so an OBD2 USDM ecu will throw a check engine light. Hence why I'm converted to OBD1 because they don't have things like the crank angle sensor...

I have a OBD2 JDM GSR ecu and I have a vtec head that I'm waiting to get back from the machine shop so I can do LS/vtec. Hopefully after I throw that together it'll be able to pass. I just hope they don't read anything off the rear O2 sensor since JDM GSR's don't have them...

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
TurboLS on Sep/19/07 said:
it's all in the tune and the maintenance of the parts IMHO. If Adam got his to pass, i think most of the boosted cars should.
you make it sound like its easy i spent hours playing wiht battery offsets untill i got my injectors running right but the real trick is gettin a good quality injector driver. once you go above like 650cc the honda resistor box doesnt cut it.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
even if i did it wouldnt help you one bit each car is different due to different electrical flow paths and stresses so it needs to be tuned per car.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Does not matter what standalone / Hondata system you are tuned with or how well or poorly it is tuned. If your car is 1996 or newer, you will not pass an emissions test. Period.

Your only option to pass emissions legally is to use a smog legal turbo kit with the stock base computer with NO check engine lights.

heykosal on Sep/19/07 said:
so basically my options are a)get an excellent tune and hope i pass or 2)convert back to stock(or close to) when its time for the test and third)try and lie to the emissions people. places other than veip do emissions testing also right?

phatintegra are you talking about T&S in Fredrick? what was your guy using to control his spark and fuel?

·
Registered
750 Posts
surfingsk8r on Sep/19/07 said:
you make it sound like its easy i spent hours playing wiht battery offsets untill i got my injectors running right but the real trick is gettin a good quality injector driver. once you go above like 650cc the honda resistor box doesnt cut it.
I agree on the injector driver, although I really don't recommend those until 1600cc's If you get a good balanced injector, (RC) 1000's will do just fine on a stock ecu driver and resistor box. I have had a couple pass on 1000's with a cat.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
heykosal on Sep/19/07 said:

Yes it's the Silver JDM front Integra that was Eric I belive he had Hondata (can't remember). I find out for you today if your intrested to be 100%sure.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
sander on Sep/20/07 said:
Does not matter what standalone / Hondata system you are tuned with or how well or poorly it is tuned. If your car is 1996 or newer, you will not pass an emissions test. Period.

Your only option to pass emissions legally is to use a smog legal turbo kit with the stock base computer with NO check engine lights.

Quote: heykosal on Sep/19/07so basically my options are a)get an excellent tune and hope i pass or 2)convert back to stock(or close to) when its time for the test and third)try and lie to the emissions people. places other than veip do emissions testing also right?
there is one option for obd 2 that i ahve found to be pretty good but im not sure how it would do on a car the is making more than 300whp but that option would be the gressy emanage ultimate it actually works really well and it will work for emmisions on an obd 2 car.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.