Team Integra Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i need some help deciding between two different projects. I can either buy a sonic blue gsr stripped interior and most of exterior and a few motor parts missing for 3400 or i can buy a Red gsr for $2495 with no engine ecu tranny, but perfect body and interior. If i bought the red shell i would want to drop in a type r motor and boost it then i would paint it that sonic blue. Either way i am going to boost it two months afterwards. I have a ton of questions though
How long does the type r motor have to be broken in before i boost?
I heard rumors that the type r isnt as great as the b18c1 for boost because of the higher compression, is that true??
How difficult is it to drop a type r swap complete w everything (ecu,axels, etc) into a 96gsr?? I have alot of experience w the b16a's but none with the b18's.. is there any major difference with working on the two?
Can a c1 or c5 handle more boost w stock internals?
Any reccomendations for upgrades while the motor is out?
So far it seems like the gsr is def best for the swap w boost esp. because of the lsd, but i dont know as much as i would like to about this swap. I am looking for answers for people who have done this personally and know all of the pros/cons..
Thanks for all your help!!

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'd get the b18c1 for boost...just makes more sense econmically...no reason to pay all that extra money IMO when you are going to boost anyway

which one is better for boost? I don't know :D

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
well first off, the type r and the gsr are built to the same strength. the type r has higher compression, this does in no way mean it is worse for boost. it is more good than bad really, better off boost power, and you can make the same power as the gsr with less boost. the bad part about the type r would be the tranny, head, cams. the tranny is geared too short to be optimal for boost. the head is really nothing but a ported and polished b16 head, however is is ported and polished for N/A. a P&P head for n/a is not good for forced induction. also the cams have alot of overlap. you don not want to force all that air into the chambers and just have it go right out befor it ignites.
the b18c1 also has high overlap cams, but they are not as aggresive. The tranny is geared just right for boost, compression doesn't matter, same rod/stroke and displacement as a b18c5. when boosting, and heavily building wether you have a 18c1 or a c5 will make no differance. everything will be changed anyway.
the b18c5 was ment to be a great N/A motor, and it is. but it can also be made into a great forced induction motor, as well as the b18c1

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks style. It looks like im going with the c1. I was originally gunna get a itr tranny bc of the lsd, but it looks like it;s better to get the gsr tranny with quilia(sp) lsd?

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
YAY another "lower CR is better for boost" thread!

which is better? neither, except the ITR head flows a smidge more. their P&P isn't nearly hogged-out enough to worry about being "bad".

the tranny's shorter gears bad for boost? not hardly. bad for traction maybe, but that can always be fixed.

anyhow, i'd run the cheaper one; leaves more money for other power-adder goodies.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a head that is p&p for boost with ctr cams, feria (sp) springs, titanium retainers and lightwieght valves w a 3 angle valvejob . It's a gsr head so i guess ill just buy the cheaper motor with gsr tranny and drop in the lsd too.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I think you should also consider that if you run the type r motor with a stock CR. You will have less room for error when tuning. This is the most important part of any turbo setup. Yes the higher compression will yield more power/lbs of boost. But only to a certain degree on a street setup.

Now unless you also plan on spending a chunk of this money on a standalone and another big chunk on tuning. I would stick with the GSR.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
DaBoyNBlu on Feb/16/04 said:
YAY another "lower CR is better for boost" thread!

which is better? neither, except the ITR head flows a smidge more. their P&P isn't nearly hogged-out enough to worry about being "bad".

the tranny's shorter gears bad for boost? not hardly. bad for traction maybe, but that can always be fixed.

anyhow, i'd run the cheaper one; leaves more money for other power-adder goodies.
well if you took the time to read what i had posted, i say the higher compression in no way makes the type r motor better for boost. I said it would be more good than bad. please take the time to read all the posts before posting somthing like that, makes you sound like an ass.
also the type r has a shorter final drive, shorter gearing. it may have a limited slip, but answer me this, if the type r tranny is better that how come the pro drag hondas use the b18c1 tranny? its no coincidence. with forced induction you don't want any more traction problems to "fix" it gets expensive.

·
Registered
267 Posts
evilempire on Feb/15/04 said:
I'd get the b18c1 for boost...just makes more sense econmically...no reason to pay all that extra money IMO when you are going to boost anyway

which one is better for boost? I don't know :D
If you want to go the supercharger route... there is only a 3hp difference between the GS-R and Type-R. and the b18c1 had more torque boosted with th jrsc check out the dyno section at . mmmmm jackson racing
jackson racing

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
aren't those dyno graphs a bit fishy... the GSR throws down more HP/torque through the powerband above 4000rpms than the R in the baseline dyno.  The gains appear to be pretty much the same after S/c again leaving the GSR higher.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
StyleTegGSR on Feb/16/04 said:
well if you took the time to read what i had posted, i say the higher compression in no way makes the type r motor better for boost. I said it would be more good than bad. please take the time to read all the posts before posting somthing like that, makes you sound like an ass.
also the type r has a shorter final drive, shorter gearing. it may have a limited slip, but answer me this, if the type r tranny is better that how come the pro drag hondas use the b18c1 tranny? its no coincidence. with forced induction you don't want any more traction problems to "fix" it gets expensive.
well, if you had taken the time to take your head out of your ass, you'd have figured that i wasn't necessarily talking to you... i was talking to the thread as a whole. and the thread as a whole had the ITR's compression as a pitfall of its boosting ability. you should take the time to be less arrogant in thinking everybody is talking directly to you, it makes you look like an ass.

why do pro's use gs-r trannys? b/c they have a lot more power than i felt we were dealing with here. less than 300hp or so, shorter gears will make you faster. and then when traction becomes an issue (which it will take more screw-up to have issues, with the stock LSD), it's just time to get fatter tires and feather the throttle more.

if you want to get into the real professional racers, they're making completely custom hybrid first-second-third gears, so that they haven't shifted by the 60ft mark, and so that they're still in 3rd gear by the end of the 1/4 mark... that is, if you want to get technical.

·
Registered
527 Posts
DAMNIT!!!!

this is the 3rd time im posting on this thread..it's a curse. i wrote up this long ass essay yesterday..like the 1st to reply(pretty much saying what everyone else is) but it's just the point.. im pissed.. i wrote it like twice..each time my computer froze RIGHT AT THE END OF MY LAST SENTENCE! wow that was so frustrating!!!!!

i'd go with the gsr by the way, i would explain why but i'll just leave it on that note before this damn computer freezes again..

ps. nothing to do with the compression ratio..
just practicality!

CHEERS!

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
This is just another one of those thread... (you guys know which ones).

And for the record, did anyone even bother to look at what PSI each setup is running? Examine the dyno's more carefully, thats where the difference in power is between the two.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.