Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am working on a 94 gsr motor runs beautiful at Idle but revs break down bad as it gets over 1500. Just gags and chokes. Plugs were very rich I replace them and rotor and cap. Idles perfect no codes. Timing light is bang on at idle. I was wondering if there is a good troubleshooting flowchart so I can start isolating components to find the culprit. Would going into closed loop take some components out of the situation ( o2) sensor to eliminate them as suspect?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Kinda hard to determine without codes. Sounds like it’s in limp mode. There’s a lot of reasons for the engine to limit rpm. The maintenance manual should have a flow chart in it. I believe it’s available on this site.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi I am working on a 94 gsr motor runs beautiful at Idle but revs break down bad as it gets over 1500. Just gags and chokes. Plugs were very rich I replace them and rotor and cap. Idles perfect no codes. Timing light is bang on at idle. I was wondering if there is a good troubleshooting flowchart so I can start isolating components to find the culprit. Would going into closed loop take some components out of the situation ( o2) sensor to eliminate them as suspect?
The O2 sensor closest to the engine is the one you might want to change. If you have one, the #2 O2 sensor doesn't really do much, but check to see if the cat is still working. My car did something similar a while back and didn't throw any codes. It just decided that the engine was running too lean and told the injectors to flood it making it drive like crap. If you decided to replace it, NTK O2 sensor is the way to go. If you've never done it before, you'll need a special socket to get it out. I think it's a free rental at Oreilly's and possibly Autozone.

Final thought...indirectly fuel related, it could alternately be an air flow issue. A clogged air filter is going to choke on high draw....same with a rusting out cat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help I will check the cat the air cleaner is fine. It is kind of odd no codes. I am going to check tps and fuel pressure my gut feeling is fuel issue maybe caused by electrical signal from tps. When we get it solved I will post the solution. Thanks again

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks for the help...
You're welcome. Come back and let us know what ends up happening.

Here's the next couple of pages if they might be useful to you. Also, your OBD could be storing a code even if the check engine light isn't on. In the States, some auto parts stores (e.g. Autozone) will connect to the computer and check codes for you for free (11-42). I don't know if there's places that will do that in Canada for free, but if so it might save you some trouble of hunting in the dark.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Go it thanks for all the help it was really appreciated. After the head scratching I decided to check the .5 to 4.5 on the tps. I had 5v on 2 pins. The whole wiring was done this winter right from tail to front due to corroded plugs. All wires under dash and everything. With all the wiring rerouted and wires resealed the tps and map wires had enough length to be switched and they were. Another clue was the plugs were really rich black and carboned up. Now it runs terrific lots of power instant full power when on road. For future people with this possible problem I saw some tips on possible switch of these 2 plugs causing poor running. This time it was shutting motor right down after 1500 rpms it would gag choke and misfire bad. Thanks again for the help hope your wrenching goes good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts