Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recovered my side skirts (Black Widow) and rear bumper (Buddy Club) from my totaled integra. they have cracks in them and i want to fix them up so i can sell them. is there a way to fix these cracks? Fiberglass body kit.

·
Registered
156 Posts
naw man. you need FIBERGLASS RESIN. this junk is nasty and very sticky. you have to mix it with a hardener and baste it on the bumper and sand it like concrete. this is what the bumper was made out of and it can be made back new. but your experience level working with this stuff might be lacking. my first body kit was givin to me because the guy hit a dog in it and i fiberglassed it all back together and the guy couldn't believe it. it looked brand new. it can be done just take your time.

·
Registered
59 Posts
When i got my body kit it was cracked and I had to modify it to fit on my car. I used Fiberglass resin and fiberglass sheets to fill and fix everything. This will work. Just dont put it on real thick on the outside of the bumber or you will have to do a lot of sanding. the inside doesnt matter because you cant see it.

·
Registered
669 Posts
You cannot fix a crack in fiberglass with bondo or resin alone, here are the steps I use to do this type of repair so it will not return

The oNLY way to fix a crack in fiberglass is to grind the gelcoat down to the fibers on the front side of the crack at least 2-3" around the entire crack. Using Fiberglass cloth and the same type resin used to make the part originally, lay the cloth onto the area and apply your resin making sure not to get any bubbles under the repair. Now the front will be strong but the back needs repair too. Now turn the part over and grind the crack itself away until you have about a 1/2" gap where the crack used to be, but don't go through the new cloth on the front. Now glass the the backside 3-4" around the crack. Just use body filler on the front to smooth out any roughness, prime and you're ready for paint.

Now that the crack doesn't exist anymore it will not crack again and will be just as strong as it ever was.

·
Registered
128 Posts
and word of advice, when sanding and getting that stuff on your skin, blow it off, don't dust it off because that will dig into your skin and believe me that stuff will irritate the crap out of you for the rest of the day.

but like everyone said take all the info in and never for granted.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts