Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i didnt know if this belongs here, or in detailing/apprearance. If it has to be moved, sorry. Ok, today i got in the mail my wings west type II kit. It is in kinda rough black urathane. Now, the directions i got from them are pretty vauge, referencing to specific products i guess affiliated with wings west. My question is....from personal experience, what did you use to prep your body kit for paint...what was the cost to prep, BEFORE painting. and any tips? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Ok go ahead and f*&^ up ur kit, dude body work should be done by a BODY SHOP i dont know how many times i have to say this, you cant paint by yourself if you dont know what your doing, BUT HELL what do i know i only work/own a body shop

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
TeamKinetik on Sep/20/02 said:
Ok go ahead and f*&^ up ur kit, dude body work should be done by a BODY SHOP i dont know how many times i have to say this, you cant paint by yourself if you dont know what your doing, BUT HELL what do i know i only work/own a body shop
yeah what kinetik said...if you have no experience you probably shouldn't do it...it is usually worth the extra money for the shop to prep it for you and also paint it...installing the kit you should be able to do but the prep work and the painting should be left to the professionals...just a thought...

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this kinetik kid needs some anger management counseling...either that or some hooked on phonics. If you read closer i typed clearly...BEFORE paint. Im not planning on painting anything, i simply asked HOW to prep the body kit..not paint it. If i was planning on taking it to a body shop for installation..i would have said so. Soooo..how about you just either help me out with an answer, or get ****y on another post...go enjoy a coke and a smile and relax. Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
hey bud, i actually decided to go ahead and do all prep work on my own. it's not hard, but it is time consuming. a couple of weeks ago i installed a rear shogun bumper. installation only took like 2 hours but to bondo all holes, cracks, blemishes, etc and then sand and feather them took longer. i finished that in a day. and in a week or two i'm putting on some z3 fenders. to give an idea, i had to cut out, file, sand, and drill all the holes in the fenders then sand it all down. it's taken a long time. the way i see it, if you have the desire to save some money, you can have a good and fun project ahead. just be patient if you're gonna do it you're self! if not, take it to the shop.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
awesome..now we're getting somewhere. See, its not that im cheap, im just a do-it-yourself kinda kid. i love the experience. For instance, when i had my exhaust put on, i begged the guy to let me back there to watch him. Not to keep an eye on my car. just to see whats involved with the welding and whatnot. Im not trying to be ghetto. I just planned on primering and installing this kit myself. learning to drive with a huge front lip...THEN paying a body shop to paint and color match...so i dont f**k up my front and have to get it redone. ANy other info helps..thanks.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SO basically, i bought 3 cans of white primer..and 3M 400 grit sandpaper...i just dont want to do things wrong, but i AM still willing to try im just taking precautions. Thanks alot kidpresentable and freeride..i really appreciate it like you would never know. Thanks alot.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You should try to use "primer and scratch filler" in general if you haven't prepped before. It will help hide any small scratches.

But paint doesn't really like to stick to urethane, so I would recommend a professional grade primer if you can get it.

And remember to mask everything off so you don't get any overspray.

·
Registered
96 Posts
yeah crx gsr is right, but if you scar up the bumper enough the primer will stick, just be sure to sand out any imperfections and after primer for me it worked to WET sand the bumper with 600 grit and then reprimerthe coat was more even and covered better...

and a quick note to kinetik...if he wants to do it himself give him a professional opinion we are all here to better our tegs and those of ours, your professional experience would probally be greatly rewarding to him since i doubt he lives near your shop and you cant charge him to do it

·
Registered
455 Posts
if you need to ask these questions , need to just have it done , if you have no experince in painting, i painted mine but i had the right tools and place to do all this, that makes the whole differnce!!!

·
Registered
301 Posts
i just bought some primer that is also a scratch filler, forgot what brand, i think duplicolor? well i got it from autozone for $4 a pop. it works well i guess. just remember to sand it after you primer it too. and sand it from low grit to high grit. the high grit will make the scratch from the low grits disappear. have fun, i always enjoy learning from projects like these.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I didnt read the other post, so if someone said this already then dont pay attention, but you need to wet sand it, with high grit sand paper. I have the same kit on my car, but i think mine is the type II. Anywho, thats all I did, but dont get the double sided tape wet, cause once its wet your better off taking it off and putting new tape yourself. Its a big pain in the crack, save yourself a few hours

1 - 14 of 14 Posts