Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering about this intake Ive never heard anything about this product. Here is a link.
BMC CDA
I was thinking about getting this for the project car mainly because its something different. If anyone has some experience with this lemme know.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
you know there's this idea out there that opening up the diameter after the bend near the TB prevents/reduces separation turbulence. Flow doesn't like seeing bends. the layers near the short turn radius wall travels faster than the layers near the long turn radius wall. This difference in flow speed at the bend's long & short turn radii is what creates more turbulence.

By opening up the diameter AFTER the bend, you slow the short turn radius layers of flow enough to allow the long turn radius layers to "catch up" and keep that nice layered even flow...more pressure and flow momentum going into the plenum.

Flow cavitation at these connection points (opening of the intake and just after the plenum port) where the diameter expands out after the port entrance is also a turbulence generator.

So, with these canisters I don't know whether you should put them midway like that and before the intake bend. If you look at the Mugen Intake which is what I consider as the benchmark prototype, they place the canister at where the air box location is. I don't know if that's more of a convenience thing or not. The Realtime guys used a bigger pressurizing box at the stock filter location to generate the pressure feeding into the short ram opening.

I guess you can break this down into minutiae but in the end it seems the only thing that makes a difference is the diameter in terms of holding you back. AN intake can't make your package the killer motor but it can hold it back if you size the diameter wrong.

So I'd pay attention to whether the canister opens up in diameter (and then is followed by a narrowing of the diameter) and whether that affects the pressure feeding into the plenum.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What seems to be the main difference is instead of the typical filter where air enter from the outside and goes in it enter from the inside and goes out now whether or not this affects the airflow I have no idea. I was just looking at this as an alternative to your typical AEM CAI or Comptech Icebox setup. Here is a picture of the airflow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts