Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i had my friend drive my car today and i told him to hit vtec on 1st gear and as soon as he hits vtec you just see blueish white smoke come out my exhaust, now i know im burning oil because its blue smoke and i also checked my oil and it went down alot, i couldn't see any leaks around the head or anywhere within my eyesight. My car only has 52,000 miles and bought it from the dealer and i haven't abused it just redlined twice. I plan on taking my car at Inlinefour because they do diagnostics for your for $65 dollars, but before i go there i just want to ask if you guys have had this problem before.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
it will do that. higher oil consumption is in fact common in VTEC engines. pushing it to the redline isn't so bad for it if you don't do it all the time either, as long as your ecu doesn't fail and let you rev past the limit. also it's not a head gasket. a broken head gasket would cause coolant to mix with your oil right away. let's say a puff of smoke out of the tail pipe would be the last thing on your mind.

but if your oil line is considerably lower, then maybe it would be a good idea to have it looked at and have a compression test done and go from there.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its not just a puff of smoke, when my car hit vtec at 1st gear it wasnt just a puff of smoke it was blowing out smoke for like 2 secs. I'm running 91 octane gas, I also had my local mechanic check if i have any leaks anywhere ( oilpan, etc.) and they didnt spot anything. I'll do the compression test tomorrow monring

·
Registered
12,488 Posts
TheGSRGuy on Jan/28/06 said:
You are burning oil if you see blue. An oil leak on the oil pan wouldn't cause smoke.
I think he was referring to the oil pan in reference to the lower oil levels and possible leaks.

But yea... Blue smoke = burning oil.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi a have a 1999 honda accord vtec at hi rev theirs some blue ish smoke but not al the time when u drive normal their is no smoke just steam we use 10/40 part synthetic castrol never uses any oil to be honest i am baffled any help would be greatfull

·
Registered
70 Posts
I would had guessed gasket too but I guess not, how about taking vtec off and checking the filter? And I just did PVC valve and the descriptions of it seemed like possible oil troubles and cheap to replace anyways and easy to check if you want to give that a try.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
519 Posts
Most people online just say "Honda's normally burn oil at VTEC" without understanding why. The reason is leak by of the valve guides at high RPM. It is 'normal' because most people dont run VTEC very often to care. Valve guides wear out over time, it's common with all cars, Ferrari's are notorious for this due to constant high RPM. You basically have 2 options, replace valve guides/valves or not worry about it. If it is only at VTEC and you don't hit it that often, i wouldn't worry about it. I typically burn a qt of oil from lots of VTEC during auto-x, but don't burn any oil during daily driving. BTW, i'm an engineering student for marine power plants (50,000+ HP diesel engines) this even happens with valves with 6"+ diameter seats.

-Fred

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.