Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, random thing i wanted to ask:

Does anyone else have trouble with slight "nightblindness" after glancing at blue gauges?

I noticed this a while ago, but didn't think to post til now. It takes my eyes a second or 2 to focus from the road to gauges and vice versa, just want to know if anyone experiences the same thing.

·
Registered
457 Posts
This is one of the reasons I opted not to get blue lights for my cluster. If you really have problems with night-blindness, go with all red lights.

Red light is used to preserve night vision in low-light or night-time situations, as the rod cells in the human eye aren't sensitive to red.

EDIT: Another drawback to blue cluster lights is that, optically, blue light looks the least "crisp" at night (i.e. items illuminated in blue will look fuzzy, especially around the edges). Just for fun sometime, when you are driving down the road at night take a glance at the illuminated signage that you pass (restaurants, hotels, etc.) and you will notice that, by far, the hardest signs to read at a glance are the ones illuminated in blue.

·
Registered
402 Posts
yep yep and yep. i've seen some studies done, don't remember where i read them online however, and the general idea is the way in which the eye is unable to focus on blue led's thus it's hard for ppl to see them. bad news.

·
Registered
43 Posts
"Red light is used to preserve night vision in low-light or night-time situations, as the rod cells in the human eye aren't sensitive to red."

I love that members of this site are educated...

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
bernard551 on Sep/20/07 said:
"Red light is used to preserve night vision in low-light or night-time situations, as the rod cells in the human eye aren't sensitive to red."

I love that members of this site are educated...
Bingo, we have a winner! As for reasons stated by bernard551 above, red light is the best hue light for night vision. It's not a coincidence our military uses red lights for any sort of night work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.