Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, let me start this question with the little story that prompted it. It will make more sense that way I guess.

So I'm leaving work the other day, and I go up to the 5th floor (roof level) of the parking garage to get my car. I "beep-beep" my car with the keyless to unlock it, but nothing happens. Sure enough - dead battery. I had left the headlights on from the morning by accident...I know, I'm a dumbass. So I call AAA, wait 45 minutes for them to come, but their truck is too big to fit in the parking garage. So the guy is now very grouchy and carries his battery charger/jumper thingy upstairs, and tries to jump my car. But he can't get it to turn over (i later found out he was doing it wrong), so the only other option (other than waiting 2 hours for a smaller truck) was to have me steer and the guy roll my car down to the ground! So w/out power steering or power brakes, my car is rolled down 5 stories of parking garage! Everyone else who was going home at the time gave me the dirtiest looks! So anyway, we get downstairs, he uses his truck to jump me, it recharges, and I'm on my way.

Okay, so now on to the problem. Everything in my car works fine except my scanner. Foglights, neons, sound system, radar detector - it's all just fine. But I have this 7-LED blue scanner mounted on my rearview mirror, and usually when I turn off the car the lights glow. It worked fine up until he jumped the car. I went to the local car audio store and they checked out all the wiring and they said it's fine. So what do you guys think happened to the scanner? Did the guy fry it when he jumped my car? Did he blow it out or something? I'm just so-so with electronics, anybody know something?

·
Registered
161 Posts
couldn't get anyone else in the garage to give you a jump? heh

how do you have the scanner hooked up? maybe it's a bad fuse?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I forgot to mention that. It is wired directly to the battery! I also don't have jumper cables in my car, and I'm also a lowly intern - I wouldn't have said: "Excuse me, Mr. Attorney, can I please have a jump from your 740iL?" lol, i just sucked it up and waited for AAA

·
Registered
161 Posts
hmm, if it's not too difficult, can you take out the scanner and try it in another friend's car? you can probably rule out any faulty stuff in your car that way. How much did you spend on it anyways?

time get keep some jumper cables in the car eh? or i guess for some people that's too much extra weight.

you have a comptech cai? icebox? i just ordered one. how's it working for you?

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
whats funny Is I had a similar incident I had all my mp3 stuff in my car hooked up. The stuff is as follows a cigarette lighter splitter for the mp3 power cord and a radar detector adapter both plugged into the splitter powering the player and the detector. I had a long trip and so I took all my stuff to my friends car and we used it for a whole week while In florida and on the way way there and back. Ok so we get back I plug the sh*t in my car and none of the stuff powers up I try it in his car its all dead not the player just all the power stuff. Have no Idea how it happened, and i have no money for new power cords. *sigh*.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Btw you should have asked somebody, how are you ever going to get ahead in life if you dont have the balls to ask some lawyer shmuck for a jump start, status is ridiculous im a intern? So what I work at a supermarket if the president of the united states was in my parking lot and my car wouldny start i'd ask that son of a ***** for a jump.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I paid $40 for the scanner. I'm going to school soon and I'm almost reaching the point where I'll go back to the store, buy another one for $40 and have them install it for free, just to save myself the hassle of finding the problem w/my current one. Maybe, not definite.

Gnuey, I have the Comptech Cold Air Intake system...I'm still saving for the icebox (maybe i'll keep that $40 after all!). My CAI is great! Looks great, sounds even better, and despite what some people say, it has helped performance noticeably. Not like it will drop half a second 0-60.....but it doesn't "bog down" as much around 2k rpm's. You will definitely, definitely love your intake man!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Shadowhunter, I have plenty of balls. I took the initiative to get an internship at a Fortune500 company at the age of 18, and I work hand-in-hand with lawyers all day long, 40 hours a week. I pull in $14/hour. I'm 18!! That's balls.

But lawyers work 110 hour work weeks around here; I know better than to delay them getting home from work. I had nowhere to be, I called AAA, big deal!

·
Registered
161 Posts
OCBcards: You wouldnt wanna try to install it yourself? so if things like this happen you can take it out easily and troubleshoot? I didn't know scanners were so expensive.

I wasn't aware of a comptech CAI. unless you're talking about the combination of the icebox and intake. I thought the intake a lone would just be considered a short ram. Do you have the stock box on? Hmm..I wonder if that could work. Cause the intake is supposed to line up with the icebox and the icebox lines up with the stock hose. hmmm.

Shadowhunter: about the power cords, you try contacting the company that makes it? tell them it's faulty or somethin.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Whoa whoa forbes lets not get all pissed off I was just kidding man, no need to start a hissy fit. And I still stand adament in my stance the worst thing some one can say is no. Btw with the whole money thing is that supposed to impress me? Money isint real, I dont care how much you make and neither should you.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Naw gnuey its not worth the hassle Ill just go to radio shack with my lowly supermarket salary and buy 3 more. Sigh I wish I made $14 an hour.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote: Shadowhunter on Aug/09/02how are you ever going to get ahead in life if you dont have the balls to ask some lawyer shmuck for a jump start, status is ridiculous im a intern? [/QUOTE] Hey shadow, I didn't mean to offend you, but I guess I was put on the defensive by the above comment. You're right, the money thing shouldn't have been mentioned. But still, let's try not to let this get personal. Also, if we keep *****ing at each other, they'll lock this thread, which sucks.

Gnuey, I never thought about that! I guess b/c I don't have the Icebox piece of the setup, what I have now is technically the short-ram intake. Comptech calls it an "Air Intake Kit" so I just went ahead and said CAI.
Comptech "CAI"? <----middle of page
You're right though; if I go ahead and get Icebox, then it's a 'real' CAI.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts