Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know which company is better for Cylinder Sleeves?! Or Block Guards? And which is better for performance? I know Cylinder Sleeves involve alot of work, right!? Or am I wrong?! I found a few block guard company's, one is from Race Engineering, another is from NuFormz, and another is STR. If anyone can give me recommendations it'll be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I picked up this Integra for dirt cheap, the guy snapped the timing belt and didn't wanna rebuild it for the price of about 2,000. So he pretty much gave it to me lets say. So I have the head apart and it's like 2 seconds to drop the rest of it, so it's the prefect time to do whatever I wanna do to it. What do you think I should do? Engine swap?! Trans swap? What do you recommend throwing in? I'm open for suggestions.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
Unfortunately, I'm not a fortune teller or a mind reader...if you don't know what you want, then you may want to start working on that before you start touching the engine. If you start with street vs race and power or performance goals then you can determine the application (FI vs N/A). once you focus your planning then the decision of whether you need to reinforce the cylinders or bore out becomes apparent.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would like to keep the stock engine and my future plans are to have a super charger installed. For now, I am getting Crower Cams S-2, valve springs, retainers, having the head acid dipped, thinkin bout doing the porting, but for now maybe just polishing it, and polishing the intake manifold, headers, bigger throttle body, open air intake. stuff like that when the heads out. So, do the Engine Guards work or what?! Just a waste of money?! That's all I'm lookin for, crap sh*t or good sh*t?! or go with the sleeves?!

·
Registered
162 Posts
why would you acid dip a cylinder head? are you trying to make it lighter or something? tell me WTF is polishing without porting?? dude, read the articles MD wrote before you ask us to answer this. you prolly could get good money if you just stuck a stock motor in there and sold it for blue blook.

·
Registered
162 Posts
making the head lighter was a joke. don't actually try it at home okay?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ment to put down porting too, sorry! The head's already out, just wanted to know if the Engine Guards are good or not.

·
Registered
480 Posts
start like this:

I want my car to behave like THIS_____
then you make plans to purchase parts that will
make your car behave like that.

adding power is fun but doesnt always make you
faster. fix the motor with STOCK STUFF, then
upgrade the tranny/clutch/flywheel, suspension, tires and
brakes. I would suggest the ITR tranny to you, you get them used for about 1500 with the LSD. It is the BEST bang for your buck you can do with these cars BAR NoNE.
Dont get sucked into the aftermarket nightmare, do the tranny enjoy the car, make it faster all around and then add power

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
Crower stage 2's overlap can work with a SC but I suggest you contact them and ask what they want to run with a SC (for the amount of boost you plan to run) instead. There's no point in getting an all motor cam and then getting a SC. The cam would have too much overlap and you would lose boost out the header. I see that they have a Stage 2 option that is for a turbo and so you might opt for that instead of the straight stage 2. Notice that the overlap is less than the all motor stage 2 but surprisingly so is the lift.

http://www.crower.com/cat/import/honda/camshafts.shtml

from the crower.com site said:
63401T Stage 2 - Turbo special design.

Short duration = low overlap, high lift for increased performance. Requires 68185 spring.

duration @ 0.05 in. valvelift Int-230 mid Exh-226 mid

63402 All Motor - Stage 2 - Road/Rally & Street/Strip.

MOST POPULAR for all-motor applications. Requires 68185 spring. VTEC controller recommended. rpm 1000-8300+. (18-21 hp)

duration @ 0.05 in. valve lift Int-248 mid Exh-240 mid
I would not acid dip the head. Whoever told you this is misguided. I would not polish the IM. Port it? sure. Polish? No. Whoever told you to polish the IM is misguided. The head gets ported (i.e. sees the grinder) at the port opening, port runner, short turn radius, and in some places at the roof around the valve guides. The head bowl is polished and blended to the valve seat area. So if you get only a polish the head as you say, then you aren't getting the full headporting job, although the biggest area of upper rpm power gain appears to be in bowl blending/polishing and at the valve seat angles. Either you aren't understanding what the person is telling you or you are not getting a good source for info. You sound a bit lost to me.

You support the cylinders only under 2 conditions:

1. you have bored out the block and the thinner walls (even though they are made of stronger ductile iron) are unable to withstand a hit from detonation or support your rod ratio which is way to low for your redline.

2. Secondly, you need wall support if there is excessive cylinder pressure being generated like when you go with big boost or nitrous.

So if you are planning to increase displacement by increasing the bore to beyond the stock limit of 82mm-82.5mm bore, then you will have to take out your stock cylinder liners, bore the block out and add stronger aftermarket cylinder liners or sleeves and support them. Some blockguards block the flow of coolant to the top of the block and can lead to overheating and head gasket failure. So a good blockguard will support the cylinder either 1/3 of the way up or at the top and not stop coolant flow to the head and back to the rad. I prefer the 1/2 way to 1/3 up ones since this is where the major wall failures occur (not at the top). The Nuformz blockguard used to block the coolant passages as did the old Darton sleeves. They have been forced to address and correct this issue by their competitors and now I believe Darton has one that allows better coolant flow.(see pic in my article).

I stated these in the Articles Performance Engine Internals section under Engine Package II: Swapping Parts For Power. I gave you 5 choices of manufacturers already for sleeves or a bigger bore there and refuse to retype the whole article here. After you have read the article maybe you can come back and ask a more specific question. That would help me greatly. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Oooh oooh golden eagle too!

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
yeah Golden Eagle has a deck plate with their sleeves if you want to run a longer rod to get a better rod ratio...notice the classic Golden Eagle support "tangs" that still allow coolant flow to go to the head and back to the radiator while still buttressing the cylinder wall for support.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
mmmm tang, just like the astronauts drink...
BTW mike, you look SOOOO sexy on that bike!
(now watch him change the Avatar to some dude to make me look gay)

·
Registered
354 Posts
I'm noticing that there's some people snapping at others for asking simple questions which really in turn deserve simple answers.

Ray

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Ray, true we tend to be short on patience when asked WAAAAAY open ended questions, but that is because we (especially Mike Delaney) give Thorough ultra detailed explainations. Additionally there are literally PAGES of the same explainations because different people ask the same (or similar) questions on a weekly if not daily basis. If the answer to your question isn't one of the most recent posts, then Please allow us to direct your attention to the lower right corner (page 1 of X) or to the middle left "Search" function. We all are here to help but sometimes it takes a little Tough-love to get the actual Question out so we can give the Most-Correct answer, and a few alternatives too.
BTW, Have a FANTASTIC day!

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
Blaxican707 on Sep/11/02 said:
I'm noticing that there's some people snapping at others for asking simple questions which really in turn deserve simple answers.

Ray
Ray,

can I ask you how you would answer a vague broad question properly in a deserved simple answer? If you can tell me how to answer the one in this thread, for example, according to your standards then, I will certainly oblige to your wishes.

If short simple answers for repeated questions that have been answered before is what the people want, then it certainly can be accomodated. But please check out the level of content knowledge over at Superhonda.com's Integra Forum. See what happens when an experienced person asks a difficult question there. Does it get answered? Does it get answered correctly? Check out other Honda boards as well. If you want us to be like any other generic Honda board then, we have nothing to offer more than any other board. What would make us any different or unique?

I would also like to know why people don't use the search function before posting a question that was already answered, in detail, either in the articles or in the forums before. That's a simple question. Wouldn't you, as a person or a group, prefer to gain more knowledge on top of what was already posted instead? Build on the knowledge rather than being like the movie "Ground Hog Day" with the same already answered topic(s) brought up over and over, milked to death until mindnumbing boredom sets in ? I mean you are supposed to advance your knowledge not stay in one place or level like a hamster on a treadmill...are you not?

thanks for your input.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Michael, I think you took what I said wrong, which is partially my fault too for not being to clearly about it. What I meant was that, the responses that I've seen...

viprtwo on Sep/08/02 said:
why would you acid dip a cylinder head? are you trying to make it lighter or something? tell me WTF is polishing without porting??
Quote: viprtwo on Sep/08/02 making the head lighter was a joke. don't actually try it at home okay?
... are pretty rude, even if the guy did'nt even use the search button. I see topics on this board everyday, being posted, yet only a few would say use the search button, and if they do suggest, sometimes they're really rude about it.

I did'nt mean like make a simple question a simple answer, it's just when someone asks a simple question some has to be a smart ass about it.

And the guy that started the topic asked for others opinions and experience, not what was in a write up or anything. If he wanted to know really what is was all about, maybe he could have read your write-up Michael.

Could it be that there was a specific answer in the search feature that he did'nt find, that's why he created this topic.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
I think the fact that the mods here don't let arguments run on post after post reduces the "level of aggression " on the forums.

Yes I agree that some other Honda boards can get carried away and the level of aggressive answers or sharp comments get escalated and people then start lashing out back and forth at each other just for arguing's sake.

I agree that the old TI board was more respectful and low key than the "in your face" boards. There was less "rudeness" as you call it and that was what attracted people here in the beginning. There was more tolerance and patience for beginners and their lack of knowledge. We tried to ease people into the info gently and slowly...but the level of knowledge content in the easing was not advancing their knowledge. It was like placing a finger in a dyke full of many holes leaking water. The ideas were fragmented and only perpetuated the "looking at one part at a time" mentality.

There was no idea of integrating the function of many separate parts into a whole more complete view (i.e. engine package or the link between the tranny and engine powerband) . People still didn't "get" the idea that the design of one part affects or determines the size and design of the other parts that were attached to it.

How do you maintain member's attention span to one board, if the board rehashes and recycles the same questions? Being nice without being informative is not going to do it.

The transition of TI into an info source uses articles and the search function as the new hub of how beginners got eased into the info.

We tried to transition people into that habit in the hopes that the questions became a little more self-directed and focused. There is less hand holding and more linking to detailed info. It placed more emphasis on the member actually doing some of their own legwork. The info was there. The responsibility was on the reader to read rather than get fragmented quick fix simple answers handed to them. You got out of it what you put into it. The more articles you read and integrated, the more advanced you became and it took less time in the long run, compared to short oneliner answers over many times over many months.

I guess this may be one place where some people dislike the articles. It's over their head, or they hate reading, or it's hard to read them. But this is why the forums are here to help you understand the articles as well. You can ask the author exactly what was meant in a specific part that you did not understand.

I think there needs to be a balance between what the old TI board's gentile demeanour had and using the new format in getting the baseline level of general knowledge up among the members, so that the forums become more of an info building of knowledge, rather than dwelling only on beginner's topics repeatedly.

Use the old posts and articles to get you up to speed and hitting the ground running,...then use the forums to build from that baseline.once we get there, I think the level of "snap" will diminish.

Then again we have the troll posts from people who are here just to stir up trouble for their own entertainment. That's where the mods can come in to stop that kind of mental masturbation.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Holy cow mike! you type a lot!

·
Registered
354 Posts
^^^ for realz! lol

I swear what me and Michael are talking about was just posted somewhere about politeness from another TI member.

I don't know, it just kinda disturbed me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts