Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with my 96 integra VTi-R (GSR model) when driving it blows a large amount of black smoke from the exhaust this only happens when the VTEC is engaged starts from about 4500rpm and goes on till i change gears. Mods i have are K&N air-filter, 4-2-1 extractors, exhaust system and computer power chip. I have been told that my car could be running a little rich because of the power chip? could this be true or is it another problem valves, value guide, etc.
I really dont like the black smoke and want to get it fixed??

·
Registered
240 Posts
black smoke is going to be either oil or running too rich...

does the car use much oil? i would expect with so many miles that the car is going to be using a certain amount of oil... leaking by the valve seals and/or piston rings...

how's the fuel efficiency? if you're running rich, you're likely getting poor gas mileage...

these things will help point you in the direction of the problem

·
Registered
389 Posts
there you go. old engine, lots of wear, will do that.

but, you say its BLACK smoke?

you sure its not BLUE smoke.

if its black smoke, you prob are running rich. oil burns blue if im not mistaken.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oil is ok i change the oil every 5000km and sometimes top it up with about 300mL about 1000km before changing the oil i have found that it has been drinking a bit more fuel i get about 400-420km from one tank.

Im going to change the timing belt at about 180,000km for the second time (first one was changed at about 80,000km) would it be worth changing the valve guides too at the same time to save some money???

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
it's the chip, go back to stock, and it'll be cured 99% of the time... black is gas, rich, and all chips do is dump in more fuel. blue is oil, and it's very distinguishable from the black rich color... and since it's only in vtec, it makes sense--the chip only richened up the vtec fuel map.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it only happens when the car is in motion when the car is standing still and i rev it nothing comes out only happens when vtec is engaged (when the engine needs more fuel)

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I hate to say I have experienced this EXACT problem to the TEE from what you have explained. Smoke at VTEC engagement and only while the car is in motion. Thankfully my car was under warranty when this stated happening. At first they replaced the piston rings and I broke it in properly. The problem worsened. They took it back and re-did all the heads...the problem worsened even more....so they just ordered me a complete new longblock. I'm happy to say that I now have a 99 GSR with 4k Miles on the motor

1 - 11 of 11 Posts