Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember people posting pics of black intercoolers but i cant find them, i searched and came up with nothing, what company makes them, and is it ok to spray paint regular intercoolers?

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
spray painting covers the metal that dispurses the heat from the intake air charge. it will cause a loss in performance, but people do it anyway

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
DaBoyNBlu on Feb/09/04 said:
you can buy special thermally conductive paint. won't hurt performance as much as regular paint.
damn really?
looks like im going to the hardware store now
i don't like to attract attention to my car, the less the better

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Put a black mesh grill over it... It doesn't block air and screw up heating problems as much as paint would take away the thermal conductivity.

·
Registered
9,908 Posts
I was actually wondering the same thing, I was going t opaint it, but everyone insists that it is harmful.

does anyone have any real info to back up or maybe even prove that it is infact harful?

my friends stock MR2 IC was black stock....

I need to hide that thing, too many ppl been coming up or honking asking "what kinda turbo u got there"

I dont like that one bit....

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
use the thermal paint, and it won't hurt as bad as some people make out.

it's also called radiator paint. people have been using it for decades; especially on old iron/iron-core radiators, for rust protection.

i'd paint it, and take whatever "consequences" that might involve.. but then again, i don't like anything flashy on my car.

another option is to get it anodized.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I just painted mine with some flat black paint. If it hurts me performance wise ill never know. Seeing the look on the guys face next to you thinking you have a mildly modified integra when you hit boost. Priceless.

I just personally prefer the sleeper look. I know its not for everyone. But at night you really cant see it at all on the road. Unless there is light and you really really look for it. But mostly the only bad thing is I get alot of little ricer boyz in there cavaliers and mustangs trying to race alot. Sometimes I wish I could just turn on a switch and be invisible when driving down the road.

·
Registered
156 Posts
how about powder coating? would the performance be and issue there. i think if you want it black paint it black. i think what turbolsvtecteg says is true, "if it hurts me performance wise i'll never know." you'll probably never notice a difference.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
No. Powdercoating in the grill area WILL affect performance. The only other way than a light spray paint is to ANODIZE it.. Won't affect performance, but is a little expensive

·
Registered
497 Posts
This is ridiculous! Paint, powdercoat it, it doesn't matter. I guarantee that if you loose any power what so ever it will not be more that 2 hp. no matter how hot it is. You guys are being silly this is like saying you get alot more power from your super ground cables... geez.. wake up.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
integralove00 on Feb/10/04 said:
This is ridiculous! Paint, powdercoat it, it doesn't matter. I guarantee that if you loose any power what so ever it will not be more that 2 hp. no matter how hot it is. You guys are being silly this is like saying you get alot more power from your super ground cables... geez.. wake up.
groud cable kits do add horsepower depending on how bad you grounds were. they can make you injectors more responsive

·
Registered
497 Posts
You aren't getting power... if your grounds were that bad they were causing you to lose power... its a bolt on affair obviously.. I can't believe you would argue that..ground wires... just go get some regular wires you don't need to spend $150.00 on some "hot earth wires" that was my point.. its not enough to talk about the power you lose on a painted intercooler is no more than you would get by replacing perfectly good stock ground cables with the "hot earth" ones.. that was the point but since you are obviously right.. I will let it go.. the point is its just silly,, "I have 6 more hp when its 150 degrees out cause i didn't paint my intercooler.. that was the point" and your like "ohhhh wow 6 hp!!"

1 - 20 of 24 Posts