Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I have sort of a random question for you all:

Recently, I've heard a lot of people talking about how they've blown up their own tegs ("oops, I missed a shift). Here's my question: if the car is under warrenty, and you have in fact his 9-11K (over redline) is there any record of that some where in the engine's computer? I ask this because I know a lot of the new BMW M3s (the high reving inline 6cyls) are blowing up... and dealers are not replacing the $20K engines because the dealers are checking the car's "black box" and finding out that the owners 1. did not properly break the motors in and 2. the owners have brought the cars well over redline.
What would happen if I missed a shift, while under factory warrenty (lets say my stock GSR hit 9000RPM), would the dealer be able to tell?
Let me know what you think? And if you're not sure, no need to guess... I'm sure someone will know.

Thanks.

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
ECU's are known to "log data" for diagonistic history....

some guy on s2000online blew up his car by a 5th to 1st misshift (oops) and the dealer was able to tell him exactly what RPM's the engine suffered catastrophic failure....

(and yes, i moved this into G3 since its a.. well.. G3 question)

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
Whoa whoa whoa Z, how do you "misshift" from 5th to 1st besides under the influence of a lot of alcohol.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I'm pretty sure when you throw a rod through the engine block, or anything along those line, anyone will be able to tell the engine was over-revved, abused, or whatever. Not exactly detective work on that stuff.

Drew

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
they are talking about your questoin rundle. calm down man its only been 30 mins since your first post. it will get some where dont worry. and i think z did answer your question too.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hootb18, who's gotta relax? :p

Also, isn't it common knowledge that if you include a ":)", you can pretty much tell someone to go funk their mother and nobody's feelings will get hurt...

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So my word is more powerful than the "black box"? Also, anyone know if reseting the ECU clears this nasty "black box"?

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
yeah, its alot easier to miss a shift on little pocket rockets. Z3 for instance, first time I drove it I felt like I was going to break the thing, since it barely moved more than a few inches either way lol.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
maybe not though because even after restetting the ecu they can still see your mileage through the ecu

·
Registered
470 Posts
alright im only posting this here because someone brought up the whole rod going through the block. i recently had that happened, but it was because i drove through what appeared to be a small puddle but i guess it was a little deeper than what i thought and i had sucked water into my motor. i know this because my car immediately died and when i disconnected the intake i manually opened up the throttle body and witnessed about a gallon of water flow out of it. now i have water in cylinders 3 and 4 and a broken rod that went through the block in cylinder one. my insurance denied my claim saying it was mechanical and wasnt because of the water. im having my acura dealer put it in writing that it is due to the water but i was wondering if anyone else has known this to happen or if anyone here is a mechanic or could find somewhere that proves this is water damage because i have to now take them to court i think.

·
Registered
311 Posts
What would happen if you just replaced the ECU would that void your warranty. Just tell them the original one went bad or something. A couple hundred for a new ECU is better than a couple thousand for a new motor.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm not saying that I have a problem... I'm just asking what would happen IF I did have one.
So nobody knows if my 2001 GSR has one of the infamous "black boxes"?

·
Registered
311 Posts
I know you don't have a problem I was just curious if that ever happened to me if replacing the ECU would matter

·
Registered
378 Posts
God knows you're lying if you tell them you did not over-rev and in fact did.

And why would you want to cause Acura to fix this under warranty, when you mess it up, causing new car prices to rise up for US.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts