Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My newly aquired 1995 GSR came with an AEM CAI and an Apex'i N1 Exhaust. The car, at purchase, was burning a quart of oil every 3-4 days! Since that time, I have replaced the exhaust and fixed a leaving CV joint. No other work has been done. The car is no longer burning oil, after 2 weeks without adding any, the dipstick reads normal. Would the exhaust cause the car to burn more oil? Should I be concerned? Should I have compression and leakdown tests done? Cars that suddenly stop having problems worry me more than cars that start having problems!

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
aye, exhaust systems don't cause/stop oil leaks...gaskets do - for the most part. If your car is smoking black, you have leaking piston rings. If not, your leaking from the head gasket. Replace that and a leakdown/compression test wouldn't hurt either.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All I know is that I went to add oil to a car that drank like a sailor and it didn't need it. The only thing done was the exhaust. on another note, yes, it blows black smoke out the tailpipe, A LOT of black smoke. The mechanic I usually go to says he'll do compression and leakdown for $120, is that a good price? I'd do it myself but I have neither the tools neccessary nor the knowledge on how to do it.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
A LOT of black smoke? I'm not sure I'd be driving it....

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, not smoke really, but if you hold your hand over the tailpipe it'll come back black. I don't drive it much yet, I still have a beater Neon that I'm keeping until the Teg gets on it's feet.

·
Registered
133 Posts
i've never seen oil burn black, not sayin it couldn't but usually black is rich ( really rich if its at idle). oil usually burns blue. a leakdown test couldn't hurt. are you sure its not a leak?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've always heard (and had confirmed again in a post above) that oil burning black are the piston rings gone bad

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
black smoke is gas, means your car is running rich, that's how it's always been and always will be. blue is oil. chances are, you had a nice mechanic that saw your oil drain plug or something loose and tightened it while he was working on your car. that, or he did it b.c it was dripping all over him when he was working on it. a quart every 3 days is enough to watch it drip.

·
Registered
133 Posts
i was gonna say i worked on many tired engines and never have i seen oil burn black. nore burn enuff to go through a quart in 3-4 days.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, there goes something else I thought I knew, right out the window. Regardless, the car was going through a quart of oil every couple of days, no leaks. I actually placed a towel under it for several hours and when I pulled it out, there was no oil on it. If it's running that rich at idle, how do I lean it out with it being stock?

·
Registered
81 Posts
My old '89 teg burned oil like none other. At the end of it's life I added 1 quart in 2-3 days. The piston rings finally just gave out. Smoke was bellowing from the tailpipes at idle. 5th gear in the transmission was also stripped. The quote to get it running again was close to $3000. Needless to say, we put ol' Stella to rest. But it turned out ok, I just got a '97 GSR.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The O2 sensor (only one, 1995 OBD-1) is shot. Either from the oil/fuel that has been going through the exhaust or from the 108000 miles on the odometer. I'm willing to rebuild the motor if neccessary, I had just never heard of a car stop having problems on it's own before.

·
Registered
480 Posts
$120? dude he doesnt give a CRAP about you or your car.
There was a guy I took my head to to see what valves I bent recently and he said he would leak it down for $30.
He took the head, put it upsidown and poured water into the ports and waited overnight. I took the head, he hasnt seen the cash. REDICULOUS. Even mechanics I know who I told that said that they would never charge for such a thing. See that, now I will NEVER, EVER use him for anything.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts